Forsythia :-)

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

BAM!!!!
Today my Forsythia is a glow of yellow .. love it, and, was wondering if anyone has tried the 'propagation trick' with this shrub and had success?
Apparently you can 'plant' a cutting from the Forsythia (a piece of limb) and, it'll grow ..
Before I attempt this, thought I'd ask if anyone had done it ..

~M~

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I've never tried rooting it directly into soil. It roots readily wherever it touches the soil, so I suspect it might work. Or you could certainly propagate by layering.

Thanks for the encouragement :-)

I do think I am going to try it, what's to lose? It's not a huge bush, but, I don't think the loss of one or two branches will matter .. I'll wait til it's finished 'showin off' though :-)

~M~

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

They are very easy to do it that way. Keep it well watered till you see roots forming.

Should I perhaps start it in a glass jar with some rooting compound ?

~M~

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I wouldn't. It needs drainage. Spring is a good time to do these activities. You get more rain and not extremely hot sun yet.

Well, we are fer sure getting LOTS f rain here ..the Forsythia gets more beautiful by the day .. once it starts to taper off, I'll harvest some nice healthy branches, and give it a go :-)

Funny thing is .. we have seen Forsythia, or something very much like it, growing in the woods around here .. may have to have a closer look :-)

~M~

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Since your shrub is small, I would go with propagation by layering. IMHO, it would be the most successful approach.
Good Luck.

North Chelmsford, MA(Zone 6b)

I used to live in a place with a forsythia that rooted where it touched the ground, making it easy to create new plants. Have you tried just hairpinning down a low-flying branch?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.