Phalaenopsis Structure (and Rescue)

Prescott, AZ

I'm fostering a Phal that has its leaves wrinkled and looked ready for the compost heap, but I'm trying to learn from what's there. After unpotting, I cut off the dead and rotten roots, which left--no roots at all. There seems to be something of a vertical central stem structure that was under the surface, and I was wondering what the proper botanical name for this would be--corm? rhizome? stem? Does it have a storage function? The plant is trying to sprout a new leaf and has what look like some new root nubs, but I'm wondering where the energy to regrow could be coming from. Both the new leaf and tiny root starts are growing, but two of the three older leaves look like they will yellow and fall, and there is a disturbing lack of ANY old roots. I'd welcome any suggestions to help it come back, it was a friend's favorite and I'd like to return it in better shape.

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

Phalaenopsis only have roots under the medium surface so I can't imagine what you are looking at. Without a photo, I can only guess that its part of the stem.

Plants have a certain amount of energy reserve in their leaves, stems and roots. But your plant has no roots to take in moisture and no photosynthesizing leaves, it is living on the reserve left in the stem. The only way to increase those reserves is to have roots and leaves, which your plant is trying desperately to grow.

Its a balancing act: grow roots to support the leaves, grow leaves to support the roots. The plant may make a gallant effort and die anyway. But it may survive.

I'm not sure, at this point that I would "plant" it as the orchid roots are also photosynthesizing. I would put it in a jar to raise the humidity and give it plenty of light. Put some pea gravel at the bottom of the jar and place the plant on that and add water to just below the level of the gravel. Put the lid on. A north facing window is plenty of light, east is good but no direct sunlight.

I'd love to know how it works out for you.

Daisy

Prescott, AZ

I'll try to get a photo later, I guess it must just be stem. I'm leaving it bare for right now. I'm more used to dealing with succulents, which like a little time to dry and callus any wounds, and that seems like the right thing for now. The new roots are trying to grow not far below the oldest leaves, so will start on the surface when I replant. I'm trying to juggle rehydration vs rot, there was a tiny spot of fungus on one of the old leaves, plus the roots and leaves balance issue you so well described. I've been misting, then getting any standing water back off, a little moisture in the gravel (it's decomposed granite up here!), and have it in a big zip-lock for humidity. (A 21st Century Wardian case on a budget?) It's in an East window without direct sun, and also gets a little from the grow-light. Definitely a project plant, but the new leaf is a little bigger each day as are the roots, so I'm optimistic. My plan is to repot it next week, then bag it and leave it alone for awhile. Thank you for your response

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

Spray it with a fungicide whenever you spot some mold, rot or fungus. Don't seal your bag completely - a little air circulation would help. Sounds like you have a handle on it otherwise.

I grow cactus and orchids - they seem to go together quite well.

Prescott, AZ

Here are some pictures of this poor plant: new leaf, new root nub, nude pose. Pitiful but still trying. I've heard that Phals can be tough, good thing! It's a miniature, when I unpotted it I found soggy sphagnum moss packed around the dead roots. I see why they are called monopodial, and I'm trying to at least learn all I can about their habits. We'll see how it goes!

Thumbnail by Nopala Thumbnail by Nopala Thumbnail by Nopala
Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

Looks very sad...

Prescott, AZ

In searching for any info that might help me create the proper environment for this plant to survive, I came across this:
http://www.ranwild.org/Phalaenopsis/module/introduction/intro1/Eenvironhead.html
which had an explanation of what CAM metabolism involves. I don't understand most of it, but did get the part about having high humidity at night. So, I am now closing the ziplock at night, opening in the morning. The leaves are less wrinkled and the new leaf is a little bit bigger, so I moved it over under the grow light. Not much is happening with the roots, but I think overall it's better hydrated and starting to photosynthesize a little. Still a project plant, survival still iffy, but thanks for listening!

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

I am a chronic orchid rescuer so understand your plight. Its all about the challenge of bringing them back to life. Let me know how it goes.

I did read one article recently about someone who successfully re-rooted a Phalaenopsis with a rooting hormone. An interesting thought but if the plant doesn't have enough reserve, I suspect it would be instant death.

Daisy

Prescott, AZ

I've been considering rooting hormone, but I think this plant has very little in the way of reserves, so I think I'll skip it for now. I've read that it can help but might be too much stress. Since the new leaf is growing, what do you think of a very dilute fertilizer dunk? I know that I can't make the plant grow, but can try to create the conditions that will help it recover itself. It's helping me have a better understanding of what is best for hybrid Phals, but I have to admit I'll be disappointed if it doesn't make it. I have seen a number of encouraging anecdotes, and the species plants are apparently somewhat adapted to periodic drought. We'll see!

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

Never fertilize a plant that is in poor health. It just puts added stress on an already stressed plant.

Prescott, AZ

Guess what? There's another new leaf on the way! The two older leaves have dropped off, and since I potted it about a month ago I haven't dug around to look for roots and can't see any yet, but having another leaf starting seems like good news. I've been misting it daily, soaking it weekly, now adding a tiny amount of fertilizer to the soak, and have kept the plastic ziplock open and rolled down to the leaf top, just trying to keep a little extra humidity around it. Thanks for the encouragement, there might be just a little bit of progress here! I'll post a picture when the new leaf is big enough to show.

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

Great news! I wouldn't fertilize though.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Anything happening?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.