Blinded by context

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Yesterday I noticed a couple of 2"-3" tall plants with1" white, 5-part flowers nestled deep among a drift of Lily-Of-The-Valley. The diminutive character and unexpected location resulted in jumping to the conclusion that this was something new on the property. I took some photos but did not touch the plants as I wanted to ID them before disturbing them. I posted the photos on the Plant ID forum and noted that the closest I managed to ID them was either Anemone quinquefolia and Coptis groenlandica, but neither looked right. To my chagrin, It was quickly pointed out that it was some species of Rubus. Because of the size and location, Rubus didn't even cross my mind even though we have several species of briers on our property. I post this expose` on myself to caution others to be aware of their blind spots/assumptions (and to avoid hiring me as a detective).

Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99
Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for sharing. Any observations shared provide an opportunity to learn or refresh my meager (but hopefully expanding) knowledge.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

We'll forgive you, and thanks for the lesson.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

It does look out of place! Maybe some bird wanted to surprise you : )

I know less about Rubus than you do, but I think it could be the same species (maybe Rubus idaeus) as the ones growing in the forest near me. I took these photos a few weeks ago; yours are no doubt behind in blooming because they're in a shadier place.

Even after going to the area where a huge berry patch is located for 2 years in a row, I still can't say for sure what the berries looked like! I'm pretty sure they were red. I'm going to pay attention this time.

Thumbnail by Muddy1 Thumbnail by Muddy1

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.