Plant ID please

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi,

I'm hoping that someone can tell me what this bush is. I have seen it growing along washes and in the hills. It seems to grow about 5-6 feet tall and about the same in girth. It has small red berries on it right now. See photos.

Thanks!

Walk In Beauty~

SingingWolf

Thumbnail by SingingWolf Thumbnail by SingingWolf Thumbnail by SingingWolf
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I wonder if it is a Lycium. Maybe Lycium andersonii.

Maybe Lycium ferocissimum. Here are some close up photos for you to compare. http://www.terrain.net.nz/friends-of-te-henui-group/weeds/boxthorn-lycium-ferocissimum.html

This message was edited May 10, 2015 10:24 PM

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Kell,

Thanks for your response, and the link. I don't think that this is it, but I am not sure and need to take my kindle out with me to compare.

I guess that the birds could have brought the seed in from elsewhere. I am surprised if they did, but I just don't know. They planted most of the pomegranates for me. :-)

I'll go take another look and tell you what I find.

WIB~

SW

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I went out and took some photos of the bush. It appears that you are correct Kell. It is a Boxthorn bush. It was probably brought onto our farm by birds. Given its invasive nature, and toxicity I will probably have to remove the two bushes from my Butterfly Garden. It's a kind of pretty bush when it has berries on it.

Thanks again Kell. :-)

WIB,
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf Thumbnail by SingingWolf

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.