Passion flower with drying area of leaves

Litchfield Park , AZ(Zone 9b)

I have a Passion Flower plant ‘Panama’ (Passiflora edulis) that is having areas of the leaves drying. See photos.
In general the plant looks healthy and I don't see any sign of bugs.
I live in the Phoenix area, zone 9b and it is planted in the ground against a west side wall . It is a new plant, planted in February 2015, after our "winter weather " passed. I am new to Passifloras in the ground, as I am new to Arizona. In Wisconsin I did have a large Passiflora that I grew in the house under lights, but have never seen this problem before. The plant is in full sun and is on a drip irrigation, so it is getting sufficient water.

Any ideas and should I be concerned.

I I have also posted in the Passion Flower group

Thumbnail by dmwade Thumbnail by dmwade Thumbnail by dmwade Thumbnail by dmwade
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Dmwade,

I have a passion vine but I do nor have this problem. It doesn't look like it is a pest problem.
The only thing I can think of is that if it is in full sun and it gets some water on its leaves the drops might act like a magnifying glass and burn the leaves. I looked on line for any problems similar to this but I was not able to see it. Try not to splash any water on the new leaves and see if it solves the problem. It looks like they might be eaten by caterpillars too. You know that they are very tasty to the fritillary caterpillars.

Good luck.

Rodica

Thank you, that is a good thought. I sometimes give it a spray from the hose in addition to the drip line.
I just bought some bacillus (BT) to spray on my fruit tress I will give it a spay of that too, but later in day.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I hope your passion vine will get better but watch out for caterpillars. They will kill your vine in a couple of hours if left unchecked . It happened to me years ago. I left for work and it was OK , by the time I got home it was too late to save. All leaves gone and no matter how much I tried I could not save it.

Thanks for the heads up. I will keep an eye on it. Back in Wisconsin I am a master gardener, but here I am a novice. So much to learn.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I've been gardening here for over 30 years and I still have a lot to learn. :O)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.