Replace dwarf Alberta Spruces with what?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Our mature dwarf Alberta Spruces are the right height but just too wide. I have 1 on each size of 2 picket fences w/ climbing roses (New Dawn).
Anyone have a recommendation for an evergreen shrub about 4ft tall and little less wider then these A. spruces?

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

I'd recommend a Thuja occidentalis 'Holmstrup'. I'm looking to purchase a few of these myself, I love the columnar forms.

--Mature Height : 6 - 8 ft

--Mature Width : 2 - 3 ft.

--Growth Rate : Slow to moderate ( 4" - 6" avg per yr )

--Hardiness Zones : 4 - 8

--Sun Exposure : Full sun to partial shade

--Soil Preference : Average to slightly sandy, acidic - well drained

--Foliage Color & Texture : Very dark green in color - some of the darkest of any pyramidal arborvitae we have seen. Foliage is very dense, and tightly bunched with a fernlike texture. Very soft.

--Flower, Cone, Or Berry Facts : Cones are approximately 1/4" - 3/8" in length, and start out as a pale light green color, eventually ripening to a mahogany brown. Cones contain wingless seeds. and are oftentimes seen on very young trees.

--Diseases / Insects : Bagworms, spider mites, and canker ( Seiridium spp. ) are the most common problems seen with this variety.

--Recommended Spacing : Approximately 2 1/2 - 3 feet apart for solid row with no gaps. Widen spacing to 4 - 5 feet apart for clean break in between specimens.

--Deer Resistance Rating : Lowest Resistance [ 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 ] Highest Resistance.

Read more at: http://www.evergreenplantnursery.com/Holmstrup-Arborvitae-Thuja-p/arbhol1.htm

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

I have a few dwarf Alberta spruce (Picea glauca) myself. You might check out the cultivar called 'Jean's Dilly'. It stays quite narrow. It grows verrrry slowly.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

juniperus communis Compressa. Or J.c. Gold Cone if you prefer golden foliage.
My word of caution about either the fastigiate junipers or thujas is snow injury.
If you live in an area with much snow, these often get deformed.
My alberta spruces are stiffer and hold up to the snow better.
You could also consider a fastigiate holly Ilex crenata Sky Pencil.
There are also fastigiate taxus & cephalotaxus cultivars.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I did a quick view of these 3 suggestions. I will study and compare. Thank you for your help.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.