need some id help

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

can anyone tell me what the difference is between Epidendrum fulgens and E. radicans? i found the best description in telling the two apart on wikipedia but online help is not always correct either so i'm hoping someone on this forum can fill me in.
thanks!

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

Okay, lets see if I can make some sense: In E. fulgens, the flowers are upside down. In E. radicans, the flowers are right side up. Usually, the stem twists by the time the flower opens to present what we consider a right side up bloom (the lip is down, the dorsal petals are up). E. fulgens doesn't bother - it just stays upside down.

Daisy

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Also, Epi. radicans has a Radical amount of arial roots!

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

Occarol is right. I forgot that part. They come out all along the stem.

Daisy

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

ok! that's what wiki said on their website but i'm still confused a little. i'll take a picture of the flower today. so far i don't see aerial roots but i see something starting to come out on the stems that may end up being roots.
i just bought the plant so maybe it's too new yet.

thanks for your help!

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

sorry it took so long to get pictures. had to wait for a really overcast morning, otherwise the orange doesn't show up clear enough.

anyway, here are the photos and the last one is an obvious problem that needs to be addressed. since i'm not familiar with orchids, any help with correcting the leaf situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thumbnail by trackinsand Thumbnail by trackinsand Thumbnail by trackinsand
Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

I'm pretty sure that you have E. fulgens.

There are a lot of viruses out there but I don't think this is one of them. Spots like that are usually caused by too much sun or water sitting on the leaves in the sun. Nothing to worry about.

If it were a virus, and if you have clean plant practices, you will not pass the virus on to your other plants. The most common way a virus is passed between plants is by using the same cutters and potting surface without sterilizing in between. Viruses, even plant viruses, are passed to others by the exchange of bodily fluids.

Daisy

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

thanks SO much. i really appreciate your taking the time to help out.
these plants were advertised as full sun orchids and although it isn't situated in full, all day sun, it does get quite a bit...maybe a little too much. i might move it over to the other side of that bed but other than the spots, it seems very happy.

debi

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

You are welcome. Its a beautiful plant.

Daisy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.