Best Nurseries in California

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

I thought it would be nice to start a new "best nurseries" thread.
My favorites are:
Annie's Annuals in Richmond (you can buy online from Annie too!)
Green Thumb Nursery in Ventura
Simply Succulents in Fort Bragg
Farm Supply in San Luis Obispo
Miners Ace Hardware in Arroyo Grande (My local nursery)

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Louie's Nursery ( my Local nursery). There are several of the same name in the Inland Empire.
Annie's is one of my favorites too.

WIB~
SW

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I just love Simply Succulent in Fort Bragg! It is such a fun nursery! http://www.mendocino.com/setup/view.lasso?look=1808

Succulent Gardens in Castroville, CA is great. Bring lots of cash!
http://sgplants.com/

Flora Grubb in San Francisco is another destination nursery. http://www.floragrubb.com/idx/index.php

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Kell, I spotted that one in Castroville and I plan on going next trip north. I also was told about a succulent nursery in Pasadena I plan on checking out next trip south. I was told to bring plenty of money when go there too, LOL.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Succulent Gardens is actually a wholesaler. They sell to the public too. It is huge. I think, not sure, that they do not take credit cards.

I just love nurseries. You never know what you will discover and you get to bring it home!

I love Home Depot too! I have been going nuts there buying all the new calibrachoa hybrids the last few weeks. Petunias and calibrachoas are my guilty pleasure, such abundant cheap color. Every year I can't wait to see all the new hybrid colors. HD seems to always have the most of the newest ones.

Lucky you Domehomedee! You get to go to nurseries all over!

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

I have the pelargonium bug. I have been picking up all these cute little flowering plants and tucking them under other things out in the garden. I even managed to get a couple Splish Splash geraniums to grow from seed. I'm babying them inside on a windowsill at present. This weekend there is a fair in a neighboring town where the geranium club sets up a booth. It is one of the high points of mother's day, going and seeing what they have for sale. Good thing my daughter's are both into gardening too.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Hope you find a great pelargonium today at your sale, Domehomedee! I found another great petunia at Home Depot yesterday. I made my husband take me. LOL

I had to look up Splish Splash geraniums for I had never heard of them. WOW, so pretty! I could easily start collecting geraniums, such variety you would never get bored. I still remember the bright red ones my Mom would love and buy every year as an annual in New Jersey. When I first moved to California I sent her pictures of geraniums as hedges. She could not believe them!

Fremont, CA(Zone 9a)

Kell, I don't want to encourage you, but Succulent Gardens does take credit cards. They got a snazzy tablet with a card reader attached and they have you sign on the dotted line with your FINGER!! Curses!! I spent way too much there this weekend.
I also would like to add two Ace Hardware nurseries to my local favorites list:
Dale Hardware in Fremont, CA and
Grand Lake near Lake Merritt in Oakland, CA
Both seem to have a good selection of unusuals.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the input. I'm off on a road trip north in September and plan of going to Annie's and I found a couple of other nurseries near Sebastopol off 101 I'd like to stop at, one of them, Lone Pine Gardens looks really fun. I'll be going to Fort Bragg too, it's one of my favorite vacation spots. First day out we're going to the U.C. Santa Cruz bontanic gardens with some friends, should be a fun day. I love to go up the coast on driving trips, we really do have a great state for road trips, with a little research you can always find new and interesting places to stop at.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.