Possible Phlox problems...

Keller, TX(Zone 8a)

The last couple of years, my phloxes have suffered a bit with random problems. I think there may have been some spider mites (not 100% sure) and I've seen a variety of symptoms - leaf damage, leaf curl, etc. There are probably at least 10 different phloxes in my flowerbed and all have had different afflictions to varying degrees...It is not summer yet, when things get crazy hot in Texas, and it is difficult to treat problems - I am trying to be proactive!
I try to avoid systemic pesticides, as to not harm beneficials, but I would be willing to go as far as necessary to save my flower-babies! I love blooms!
Thanks in advance for any help!

I found a couple more pictures - will add in a reply...

Read more: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1392941/#ixzz3Yupr08lu

This message was edited May 1, 2015 1:13 PM

Thumbnail by PookieMichelle Thumbnail by PookieMichelle Thumbnail by PookieMichelle
Keller, TX(Zone 8a)

I found these 2 pics of the leaf curl!

Thumbnail by PookieMichelle Thumbnail by PookieMichelle
North Chelmsford, MA(Zone 6b)

I wonder if they are drying out in the hot sun. They like good moist soil and LOTS of food. Mine are in shade and have done well until Woody Chuck ate them down to the ground. I am going to make them a hardware-cloth collar.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Have you looked closely at the underside of the curled leaves, to see if there's any sign of insects there? (Beyond that suggestion, I have no idea. If it's spider mites, a water jet from a hose will wash them away.)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.