CLOSED: Sharp-shinned or Cooper's?

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi,
I'm leaning toward Sharp-shinned, but I'm not sure.The tail looks squared off and you can see a notch in one of the pics. Also, it didn't look real large, although it was all the way in the back of my yard.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature
Pueblo, CO

This is a tough one since it's in my opinion harder to distinguish the juveniles. I'm going lean Sharp-shinned as well for two reasons, 1. Typically Sharp-shinned Hawks are found around people more so than Cooper's. And 2., from your first photo I think I saw broad chest stripes that went pretty far down the belly. Juvenile Cooper's have sharp chest stripes that are concentrated on the chest. I could be mistaken however, I'm not a pro.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Sharp-shin for me too; the tail is square-ended, and the breast looks more barred than streaked.

Resin

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks asque2000!
Thanks Resin!

I also noticed that the squirrels weren't at all afraid of the hawk, climbing on the stack of logs just inches away and the hawk wasn't the least bit interested in the squirrels.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.