Vegetable Garden

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

My plants are not looking the greatest in the veggie garden. I think it is because of the crazy weather of lots of rain and very cool nights. Has anyone else had this problem?

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

Yes, lots of rain seems to have made my kale long and leggy, and my sugar snaps are small and pale.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

My cabbage looks pathetic. Parsley and cilantro are ok.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Late spring so about two weeks behind schedule, but otherwise cool season crops, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, English peas, pak choi, radishes, spinach, onions etc are doing great.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes, it has been a late spring. Soil temperature, which can be easily measured with an instant read thermometer, is a more reliable indicator as to when and what to plant than air temperature or dates. I also look for potential severe storm warnings during the early weeks of growth and delay as needed. Scaled way back on cool season crops this year because the late planting of cool crops meant they woukd be in the ground when space is needed for warm crops. What I have looks good, especially cabbage which finds the cool, wet spring ideal.

My cabbage leaves looks good but never headed and is setting seed. I will be pulling the cabbage this week. I have had so many of my cold cops set seed early. I don't think any of my plants like the up and down temps with so much rain. I talked to my neighbors across the street and they say they are having the same problems with their vegggies.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

My cabbage grows through June and then I start seeding again for fall. This is in the N. GA mountains.

If young cole crops flower it might be because transplants needed more hardening off or, if you direct seeded, they got too cold. They can survive low temperatures but it might trigger premature flowering. The issue is more that it got too cold at some point, not too hot.

They were Bonnie's plants that I planted out after severe cold. A lot of my cold plants started seeding.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.