Pallida problems?

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

I have a clump of what I'm pretty sure is pallida. So many tags disappeared this winter. It is a pretty large, tight clump, but not especially overgrown. It seems to have a bit of root rot in places. We are having a very dry spring, it is not in a particularly moist spot, and none of my other irises have this issue. Even ones that are in moister spots look just fine. Is this cultivar maybe weaker than others? It spreads like crazy, but don't like the look of this current clump.

Lyndon, IL(Zone 5a)

It *may* be botrytis.....I hope not, but check that 'iris diseases"fact sheet on the other thread, and see if you can ID the problem. I've always considered the pallidas to be pretty *bullet proof*, and not too likely to get in *trouble*. I think, if it was me, I'd dig, divide, discard the worst pieces, and treat the rest.....you'll be losing this years bloom, but, you might be saving the OTHER iris.....botrytis is more of a "dry weather" and "cold winter" kind of rot (it's actually caused by a fungus), while the bacterial soft rot is more a "too wet and too crowded" type of problem. I fought botrytis most of last year, and *thought* I had it "whipped'.....WRONG !...it's back with a vengeance, this year, and now the bacterial rot is affecting the rhizomes damaged by the botrytis ! Your county extension office (or a local iris society, or 'master gardeners program") should be able to help you ID the problem, and offer some tips on control.....Good luck !

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Hmmmm. Google has very few images, and I didn't recognize any of them. Of course, it could just be in the early stages. It definitely is affecting the crown area, and a few of the leaves were brown and crumpled, but none were spotted or fuzzy. I threw away any that had mushy areas or brown leaves, and I can treat what is left with some neem oil or something.

I just hope it doesn't make it across the yard to my brand new grapes!!!!

And just in case any of you are feeling left out, Google tells me that you can get great deals on Botrytis on eBay! LOL

Lyndon, IL(Zone 5a)

Did the mushy areas smell bad ? If so, that's probably the bacterial soft rot...the botrytis doesn't have as 'offensive" odor, and, in fact, smells sweet. The botrytis quickly turns from "mushy" to a dry, pithy, sort of rot. If you've trimmed all the "bad', that's the main thing....

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

I thought about sniffing it, but have smelled rot and didn't want to smell it again. Now I know it's worth sniffing. The remaining rhizomes have lots of room, so hopefully they will bounce back.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.