Pictures of my thriving SB Garden...

(Zone 8b)

Excited that my SB garden is doing so well on my first time to try it. Here are some progress pictures.

Thumbnail by TX_Chris Thumbnail by TX_Chris Thumbnail by TX_Chris Thumbnail by TX_Chris
Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

I'm impressed, TX-Chris. I still haven't planted my first bales, but it's getting close to the time. I plan to plant bush beans and cucumbers and squash. Do you advanced SB gardeners recommend those veggies for the first time? I am getting kind of nervous about this.

(Zone 8b)

Beebonnet my cukes are doing great. My pole beans are coming real good as well. Multiple tomatoes on every tomatoe plant. Excited that first harvest is not to far off.

The vegetables you are wanting to plant will do great in your straw bales. Keep us up to date with your progress.

Chris

Thumbnail by TX_Chris Thumbnail by TX_Chris Thumbnail by TX_Chris Thumbnail by TX_Chris
Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

OMGosh....Your crops look so good. I hope mine will be that good in a few months from now.

I see you are using an ooze hose. We have drip irrigation with burblers. Do you think that will work for bush beans? I am worried that the spacing will not be close enough, because the plants will be in straw bales....not in dirt. My husband thinks the drip will be fine, but sometimes we don't see eye to eye about things in the garden. So just wondering if anyone else has tried drip irrigation instead of ooze hoses?

(Zone 8b)

Beebonnet I decided to use soaker hose on digital timer because it was so easy to set up. It works great keeping each bale moist not soaked. We have so much rain this spring in my part of Texas I am using the rain delay feature on my timer for days at a time. Got five inches of rain over night. The bales do a great job shedding excess water.

No experience with drip irrigation so cannot offer much advice. I would think you would want drip close to base of each plant though. If your plants look like they are not getting enough water change things up. Look forward to reading your posts on how it works.

Chris

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

The drip is working very well. It was in and I was too lazy to change. Guess I didn't need to.
Here are my Blue Lake bush beans and a winter squash called Amazonka.

Thumbnail by beebonnet Thumbnail by beebonnet Thumbnail by beebonnet
Fort Worth, TX

Impressive. My problem with raised beds is a full sun location, I just searched DG to see about putting straw on top of my garden to reduce evaporative loss.

How is strawbale holding up to this heat TX Chris?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.