CLOSED: Behavior Question

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I photographed several Gray Catbirds at the Audubon bird sanctuary at High Island, Texas yesterday. This one was hanging its wings down low. Is this an indication that the bird is tired? Or something else?

Thanks,
Patti

Thumbnail by P_Edens
Richmond, TX

My hens do that when they are hot.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Ah, that could be it. It had just rained and it was steamy hot out there.

Thanks!

Patti

(Zone 5a)

On occasion, we've had finches and Juncos look like this, often in the spring. We've had plenty of puffy birds in the winter, since they can trap air in their feathers to act as insulation, but something is wrong when they look like that at 40 degrees, like they are still cold. I did a search and found these can be signs of illness, but they are also lethargic. If your bird was energetic, then it should be ok.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Chilly, Yes, this bird was zipping around and picking up all sorts of goodies in the leaf litter! It seemed to be very hungry. Maybe it was just tired as well as hot. Thanks!

Patti

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Patti ~ I realize you closed this thread, but I just found an interesting link about Gray Catbirds. They mention that the males will also droop their wings as part of their mating ritual. That may not have been the reason, but I thought it was interesting.

http://beautyofbirds.com/greycatbirds.html#overview

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Very interesting! Thanks for posting that! It sure could be the reason, but I guess only that Catbird knows for sure. :)

That is a great website - I'll be revisiting it.

Patti

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.