Spring 2015 Plant Swap Discussions - PART TWO

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

As Coleup pointed out, the plant swap discussion thread was getting long, so here's Part Two!

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1387839/

This message was edited Apr 24, 2015 7:15 PM

Thumbnail by Muddy1
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

thans.
you know, it really seems easier , if you want to ask for something, to dmail the giver rather than ask here and have it buried...

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I guess we all have our own systems... I periodically go through this swap thread and make updates to my post on the haves/wants thread, so I'm actually more likely to miss something on a Dmail. For instance, I should have immediately opened the haves/wants thread and edited my post with a note that you wanted jewelweed... but I didn't... however, I'll see it here!

Frederick, MD

SD4, I understand you have some Shasta Daisy - Becky you've divided and are bringing to the swap. I'd like to put "dibs" on two of those, please. Thank you.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Cam--

Since you just joined us--I have been offering (with no takers) some big clumps
of dug out "Frans Hals" day Lilies. I have left. Divided--each should yield you many
divisions. Frans Hals is a bi-color DL .

I have really nicely rooted Brazilian Plume Flowers and a couple rooted Fig cuttings.
Endless small Spider Plants, some Epi starts (NOT the NBC ones).

I am also trying to give away some African Violets as they have never bloomed
for me. Healthy--but I just don't have the right light for them.

I have a zillion seeds collected of all kinds of plants too. You can get an idea by clicking
on my name and going to my "Trade List" . It is not 100% up to date--but you may
find something....I am a prolific propagator.

OK. I am off my soap box...... Gita

I work at a Home Depot--If I have too much of anything, I take it there and give things away.

Please look at my "haves" to see what else i have. Gita

Frederick, MD

Thank you, Gita !

I can always find a place for Day Lillies so I would be more than happy to take those Frans Hals and give them a spot where they'll get tons of sun and bloom profusely. :) Bring a couple of clumps for me, please... I'll split them up and will probably make four separate plants out of them.

I was reading up on Brazilian Plume Flowers. They prefer lots of shade and still bloom ? Awesome, have a perfect place for them too !

And from your "haves" list, I would absolutely love to take those two Azaleas, Delaware Valley, off your hands. I would love to put them around the Crape Myrtle - Natchez I plan to plant next month !

Thanks again, REALLY appreciate it !
CAM

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I have finally been out and about in my garden and have an idea on what has spread that I can share. These things are starting to really multiply - light purple noid phlox divaricata (woodland phlox), silene armeria (sweet-william catchfly), and iris cristata (crested iris). I can also dig up some of the daffodil 'lemon drops' that I shared last year with GT and Pat that he recently posted pictures of - ssg?. I will also be able to share two to three plugs of epimedium 'Pink Elf', epimedium 'Lilafee', tricyrtis 'Dark Beauty', pulmonaria 'Bertram Anderson', and Anemone 'September Charm'.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Aspenhill, yes please! :) I'd love some of the Lemon Drop daffs! They're adorable!

Also, epimedium 'Lilafee'

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

CAM--

The clumps pf Frans Hals are huge--about 20lbs.
You will get about 10 individual clumps out of it. Do you still want two?

The Delaware Valley Azalea starts are small--but rooted. They were outside all winter.
They need a new pot with fresh soil and they should grow bigger.
In the long run--this Azalea grows huge! Not sure if you want to put it around a tree.
I cut it back to the nubs almost every two years. it simply re-grows.

The Brazilian Plume is a woody plant--the stems snap easily. Then you can
root the pieces. In the winter--treat it like a houseplant inside--in bright light.
Yes! it prefers part shade outside to bloom best.
How many cuttings did you want? Would 2 or 3 be enough?

You can D-mail me if you want to discuss this any further. Have questions, etc...
Gita

1 &2--Delaware Valley Azalea
3--Brazilian Plume in bloom
4--Hot pink bloom on my Epi. My favorite! I have some rooted pieces available.
5--Frans hals DL.

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Frederick, MD

Gita... thanks for the additional info.

10 plants from one clump of Day Lillies ? Wow, wasn't expecting that. Just one clump is plenty, thanks !

The DV Azalea doesn't grow larger than about 4' high and wide, right ? I have a pretty large space in the area I'm putting the crape myrtle on the southwest corner of the foundation. If they grows larger than that, I have other spaces that would be better for them.

Yes, 2 or 3 of the Brazilian Plumes would be great. They are in pots, right ? I'll leave them in the pots and bring them in for the winter as I see they would not survive our winters... think I read they are rated for zone 9 or warmer.

Again.... thanks very much !
CAM

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

CAM--
Yes--I think you are about right on the DV Azalea. Mine is years and years old....

The BP's are in a large tray with 6 cells. Each cell is equivalent to a 3"pot.
I will cut the cells apart--and that is how I will share this plant.
You will need to pot them up into, at least, a 6" pot for now. Let it grow,
unpruned, for at least the first 2 years. Then--play it by ear....
Cutting the stems back that have bloomed wil allow it to grow more stems.
The flowers come on the tips of new stems.

Mine is pretty large--and I pruned it last fall leaving only one new stem on it.
It is, at this time, in a 10" pot and is 1-1/2 fot tall.

Here are what the cuttings look like now. I will cut them apart as needed.
If I give you 3--I can leave them in a strip of 3 "pots"

Gotta get off my tush and get something done instead of sitting here all day....
Gotta mow the lawn--for one...
G.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Hmmm---The picture did not load....
Here....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Frederick, MD

A few of those BPs would be perfect and appreciated, Gita. And I'm very excited about the DV Azaleas... I just have to decide which of three places I will plant them but trust me, they will be a vital part of my foundation landscaping wherever I put them.

Must mow too... darn it, just got enough rain to wet the grass pretty good. Even had some snow flurries mixed in. Crazy.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

We have a good spot for one of the pulmonaria if any are still available. Thanks! Love the daffodils you shared with us.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Got you down ssg and pat

I just dug up some lily of the valley and a red-flowering sedum (similar to Autumn Joy but with dark red blooms).

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Cam--

I think you will have to grow out the Azaleas in a bigger pot before you can
plant them in the ground. They are still such little plants....

Gonna go outside and take a picture----

Here are the two Azalea cuttings. One is doing very well--
the other has leaves on ONE stem.....seems alive--not betting on it...

2nd picture--this is the mama Azalea. Pretty big--even if i do cut it back
severely every 2-3 years. it simply grows back and marches on.

3rd picture is on the same corner--in 2013--full bloom.

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Frederick, MD

Thanks for the pics, Gita. Yes, that's about how large I anticipate them getting. I have plenty of room for them, in any one of three places.

And hey, if the one is dead or doesn't make it, that's still one more than I have right now. :)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Aspenhill, I would love one of your epimedium 'Lilafee' if you still have one left,

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Ok Holly, you got it.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

CAM--you seem to be quite the gardener....you are fitting in just fine!

Tell me--when would YOU take cuttings of an Azalea?
My next-door neighbor is a busy gardener from Pakistan.
She can root anything--seriously! Her secret is that you must water the
cuttings 4 x a day. Works for her...not sure I would do that....

I have another unusual Azalea--but it is too small (not too young) to find a place
where I could take a cutting. It is called 'KOROMO SHUKIBU" and is spectacular--
very unusual.

My idea of rooting an azalea cutting is to cut off a small "bunch" from the
tip of the bush and stick the whole thing in a pot to root. I tried it on the Koromo--
but it did not take. What is the secret?

Here it is! This is from 2 years ago. It is not even in bud yet.

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Frederick, MD

Thank you, Gita... but I'm no expert. I never got into gardening until I was in my early 40s, partially thanks to a military career and moving around so much. In the last 12 years, I've owned four homes. The first was a new build and in two years I planted 18 trees, 52 shrubs, and countless other plants. That was my start in gardening. I do a good bit of research and love to do landscape planning nearly as much as taking care of my plants.

When it comes to propagating, I'm a rookie. But from what I have read about azaleas, the ones that are evergreens are fairly easy to root from cuttings... normally after the bloom period is over. Deciduous varieties are difficult to propagate from clippings. Is the Koromo a deciduous variety ? Those blooms are unusual and gorgeous, btw !

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

We need Paul's input! i seem to recall that right after bloom is the ideal time to take cuttings, but I can't swear to it. The little cutting I got from him has made it through another winter, and it doubled in size last year... it's now a 6" shrub. Too cute!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

SSG, I'd love a piece of your dark red sedum, please! Were you the one who had Arum italiacum on your list? I think mine has finally spread enough to dig up a clump. :-)

Jill, I just want to clarify that the leaves are plain green, and looks just a lot like Autumn Joy, but the blooms are red instead of pink. Did you still want it?

I'd love some Arum italicum!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Yes--after the bloom seems the best time--as then the Azalea goes into a
growth cycle.

I kind of thought so anyway. At least--the Delaware valley is a big Azalea--
and I cam mess around with as many cuttings I want to.

Not so re the Koromo Shukibu.

And--BTW--I believe my "Yaku Prince" Rhodo is showing signs of life.
YEAH! Seeinf new buds here and there....so it is staying put.
I pruned off the dead stems today--that is how I noticed the new buds.
NOT yanking it out!
G.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yep, I understood it was the blooms and not the leaves that were dark red! I've come to appreciate sedums more & more, even the taller ones that I initially was a little "meh" about... I'll give yours a nice sunny spot among the irises! I have 2 pieces of a tall sedum I brought back from a friend's garden in NC -- not sure if they are 'Autumn Joy' or just something similar -- but they will make a nice trio together with yours. Thanks!

Ok, got you down!

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly, Gita, and Robin, got you down for Pepper 'Pyramid'. If I have got the ID of the seedlings wrong, you will get Eggplant 'Easter Egg', teehee.

Gita, the 'Pyramid' peppers change colors as they mature. They first come out in a yellowish green, then turn purple, then yellow, orange, bright red, and finally dark red. Because the peppers are at different stages of maturity, you get them in different colors at the same time.

Thumbnail by donnerville Thumbnail by donnerville Thumbnail by donnerville
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Those Easter Egg Eggplants are really cute, too.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Donner, I'd like to try one of your Pyramid peppers if you still have one. It looks so neat!

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Muddy, had you down for the pepper I thought I planted the Easter Egg, but the seedlings look more like peppers. LOL!

As Holly said, the 'Easter Egg' Eggplants are cute too. I planted one plant each year in the last 2 years. The plant grows to about 15" tall in a 10" pot. The 'eggs' are just the size of small chicken eggs, or maybe even slightly smaller. They start out white, and turn yellow as they age.

http://parkseed.com/easter-egg-plant-seeds/p/01884-PK-P1/

You can see both 'Pyramid' peppers and 'Easter Egg' eggplants in picture, the last bouquet from my garden last year.

Thumbnail by donnerville
annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Anyone interested in deciduous azaleas I can bring to the Swap, see my post on the Plant Addicts thread

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1383933/

This message was edited Apr 27, 2015 8:48 AM

Aspenhill, I'd love an anemone September Charm.

Holly, do you have any Virginia bluebells left? David's bluebells are so pretty!

I'm interested in lysimachia (both the purple and variegated kinds that are offered), but I'm nervous about its aggressiveness. Are they easy to control?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I won't know till I get home but I will put you on the list.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

SSG, got you down for the anemone September Charm.

I got a lysimachia from Gita at a swap a few years ago. The flowers were white, not the purple or variegated kinds that are being offered now. I can definitely say that the white was very pretty, but also very aggressive. It spread all over the place, and was not easy to remove - the roots were long, long, runners. It had spread in and around other plants, so most of them came out in the process. If I had to do over again, I would keep it in a container. This plant was the first (and so far only) aggressive one that I've had any experience with.

Thanks, Aspenhill!

Last call on a noid Japanese maple! Very red leaves, seems to be a dwarf, or at least slow growing. About 3 feet tall right now. I'll be offering it locally if there's no interest from this group.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

SSG, if nobody else speaks up for the maple, I'd be happy to have it for Martina... it would be so pretty near her little pond, either in-ground or in a big container. Thanks!

You got it! It's actually a very pretty maple, but the color gets lost against my red brick house.

Jill, do you think Martina would want some of my Sun Sugar tomato? Mine are also tiny, but they should be ready to be planted by Memorial Day. It looks like I'll have two more to share.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.