Need Help Building a B. E. & E. S. page 2

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Hello Everyone,

I promised to start a new thread, and here is where we came from.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1366742/

I had to shorten the name, because I had too many characters. I hope that it is still understandable, and that people still visit and offer advice and support. I do appreciate all the help I get from my fellow gardeners here at DG.

I hope to be able to post some photos later today or tomorrow showing everyone the progress I've made to date on the Butterfly Education and Exploration Site.

Walk In Beauty~
SingingWolf

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks for letting me know that we had a need for a new thread. I need to be reminded from time to time. :-)

I was at the $Store the other day, and picked up these cute garden markers. I was wondering what I should write on them? Any ideas?

WIB~
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf Thumbnail by SingingWolf Thumbnail by SingingWolf Thumbnail by SingingWolf Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I was out transplanting the Maypops Passiflora, today. I was relieved to see I have enough to plant around the tipi frame. I hope that the critters will leave them alone. I know some won't make it, and I still have some sprouting to fill in those spaces. I'll train the vines to climb the garden netting that we wrapped the tipi frame in. I did leave an opening between a couple of the poles so I can go inside, but I have a layer of chicken wire and one of field fence over the door to keep the squirrels and rabbits out.
See photos.
More soon.

WIB~
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf Thumbnail by SingingWolf Thumbnail by SingingWolf Thumbnail by SingingWolf Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Huh,? I don't know why the photos are sideways. I sent them from my phone.

In addition to transplanting the Passiflora, I also took advantage of the weather (cool, cloudy, and occasional sprinkles), to transplant the rest of the Butterfly Bushes I bought last fall. I kept some back, not knowing how well they would weather the winter. The ones in ground are much fuller than the ones in the pots. :-)

So I planted a hedge to separate the gardens from another space. I planted red salvia in between each Butterfly Bush. I was really tired by the time I got everything watered in.

The first photo is of a pink flower. I can't remember its name?! It's a native California plant.
The second photo is of the hedge I just planted.
The third and fourth photos show the MW seedlings among other things.
The last photo shows off my little sign, showing a lot of plants growing there. I have more to plant, but those beds are starting to get crowded. :-)

WIB~
SW

Winnetka, CA

Wow Julie...

You sure have been busy... I hope you had some help with that... did you call in the 'muscle' crew? -:) Looks great... hope you get some nice rain to water everything in for you. I love planting on overcast days... one of my favorite things to do!

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

One of my "Summer Kids" helped, and a couple of his friends helped me net the tipi poles.
Sadly, it didn't rain much, and now we expect temps in the 90's for most of this week.
I watered, mulched and provided some shade for the passiflora seedlings that I just transplanted. See photos.
WIB~
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf Thumbnail by SingingWolf Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Winnetka, CA

Julie...

Your little umbrella's are adorable! -:) I hope they do the job...

We didn't get any rain here either and it was 94 yesterday... everything was so wilted when I got home from work! I was really hoping that this summer would be cooler than last but if these temps are any indication of what is ahead we are in for a toasty summer.

I love the teepee project and I sure hope your passiflora will thrive and flourish there. Once they grow it will really look awesome. What a great idea....

Critters are a whole 'nother problem... -:) My dogs have been waking me up regularly at 2am when the raccoons, possums and tree rats come into the garden to feast on my husbands loquat tree... that goes on until 4:15am when my alarm goes off. It's maddening. I am so tired from the time the loquats are edible until they are gone - I get no sleep... then the tomatoes start to ripen and it starts again....The critter battle is my biggest problem in the garden... you wouldn't think it would be so since I live in such an urban area... but I suppose my garden must be a big party to city critters who are used to cars and concrete! I hope your local critters are obliging and leave the passiflora be. -:)

Did you get any suggestions on what to write on your garden markers? Were you hoping to use them for antecdotes or as garden plant identifyers? They sure are cute.

Are you growing any achillea in your BEES garden?
It seems like a plant that would do well there and attract the butterflies.

Hope your day is cooler than yesterday! Nancy

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi Nancy.

I was thinking that the markers could have either Butterfly facts, or poetic type quotes about them. So far there has been no response.

The tipi poles were just in need of something to make them pretty again. Since I like repurposing things, and I needed something for the vines to climb, well it was a no-brainer. I still have to figure out supports for the Cerulea tweedia too.

The sprouts are doing well with their little umbrellas. At least they were doing well yesterday. I still have to go water them today. The umbrellas disintegrate when the water hits them. Luckily the weather is cooling, and I am hoping that I don't lose any more to the heat.

I don't have any achillea growing yet. Give me time. :-)

The hummers are already enjoying the garden. Every day when I go out to water, I see at least one hummer and sometimes I have seen a couple of them. I am glad that I can have them came visit too. :-)

Off to water.

WIB~
SW

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

The Maypops are doing fine under their little umbrellas. The weather is cooling down and that will help a lot.

Today I saw several Orange tip Butterflies, and I was surprised to see a Mourning Cloak Butterfly too. The hummers supervise me as I water and weed. They are such little clowns. The blue Jays, all out as if to voice their approval in my additions to their habitat. The bees are buzzing around the cactus flowers.

It's coming along. :-)

WIB~
SW

Winnetka, CA

Sounds great Julie! Aren't those hummers fun... I was pulling a weed on Friday evening and stood up and a hummer and I were literally eye to eye... both of us surprised... I stood perfect still and he/she lingered for about 15 seconds before darting away.... I could feel the wind from the wings.... so cool.

My order from 'Old House gardens' came in and I planted a Wisconsin red dahlia yesterday along with some pink rain lillies... this will be my first time growing the rain lillies... they got rave reviews on the site and are really lovely. I hope they do well.... wish I had more room to grow all the things I love and a helper would be nice too.... -:)

My gardens are really feeling this heat and I'm hoping we cool down a bit. I hope those maypops do well... I can't wait to see them full grown on the teepee.... I have a spot I want to plant the seeds you gave me... just need to get it done.... I noticed some of my iris didn't return this year... I hope they are just slow starting... we shall see.

Have a great day in the gardens.... Nancy

Winnetka, CA

I meant to include this in the last post.... from your previous one...

Interesting Butterfly fact: "Butterflies have taste receptors on their feet".

Two Butterflies Went Out At Noon - snippet of a Poem by Emily Dickinson

Two butterflies went out at noon
And waltzed above a stream,
Then stepped straight through the firmament
And rested on a beam

-:) Nancy

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Very nice Nancy. :-) I am sure that I can use the Butterfly fact. I will have room to fit it. I think that I'd better stick to the facts with these four markers. :-)

I like the poem too. I'd like to make a sign with the poem. Or better yet a series of them with different poems. Thanks Nancy. :-)

People are curious to see what I am doing, and we are getting a nice mix of customers who've been to our farm before, and people who just discovered us. One lady came in today, just to visit Grandmother Oak. The close proximity of the beehives didn't faze her. She had some questions about the Elderberry trees and of course what is going on with the tipi. I had to disappoint another young visitor who wanted to go inside the tipi. Once I explained that I had just planted the seedlings, and needed to keep the squirrels and rabbits out, the Dad understood. He thought the little umbrellas were a clever idea. His son quickly got over his disappointment, and ran off to play with the other kids on the tire swings. I invited his Dad to bring him back to watch it grow. Once I had told him about the passion flower being a vine, he understood why I was using the tipi poles as a frame for them to climb. Once he found out about the caterpillars that will be on those vines, he was ready to chase off any one who tried to go inside the tipi. I know he will be back with his son to check on the progress. :-)

I hung up some windshield under one of the trees. Looks nice and sounds lovely.

It's been a good day, but a tiring one.

WIB~

SW

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I was out in the BEES gardens this morning, and have some photos to share.
1. Photo of the sign I put on the tipi.
2. Is a Texas hibiscus I planted out there as a thanks from all of the gardener a in Texas who've helped me out with this.
3. Is one of the two little stepping stones I put out in the gardens.
4. This is the other one.
5. This last one is of a Bah Bay Amazon Queen hibiscus. I hope it grows well there and the rabbits leave it alone. I found this plant for over half off the original price on the "save me" racks at Lowes. I've gotten some really nice plants that way.

I am happy to report the passiflora survived the heat and looked pretty good when I removed the cocktail umbrellas today. :-)

That's all for now folks!

WIB~
SW

Winnetka, CA

Hi Julie....

How are the passiflora doing? Are they growing? I was inspired by your tee-pee so I made a miniature one here at home in a large pot. I used three large wooden posts sunk into the pot and then tied together at the top and planted three passion flowers at the base... Can't wait! It won't be as spectacular as yours... but it should be pretty and hopefully bring in some butterflies...I did a little gardening today... mostly maintenance type things... dead-heading the roses and mulching... spinning the compost... oh and I also transplanted one of the eye-ball plants from the RU into a larger pot and put it in my kitchen garden window... I hope it will get enough sun there to grow for me... I haven't yet decided where to plant the second one. What's happening with the BEE's? Any butterflies showing up?

Dee... what are you doing in your garden? Nancy

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I was just looking through some of the older posts and realized that you all probably wondering about the windshield that sounds so nice. Well I sent that post by my phone, and it decided that I meant windshield when I wrote wind chimes. The kindle just did the same thing, but I caught it.

I have been busy with a lot of family stuff, and I have been busy out in the BEES gardens. I am going out tomorrow to get photos so I can show you how I am doing so far. :-)

Nancy, do you remember what the large plant is that you brought to the RU? We set it just inside the gate when you got here? The plant is doing fine, but I was trying to figure out where to put it.

Okay, more tomorrow.

WIB~
SW

Winnetka, CA

Hi Julie,

I believe that was a cestrum elegans that I brought. It looks a lot like a night jessamine... It will get large if allowed to grow. Mine has always been in a container so it stays at about 3'. I'm thinking maybe to about 4-5' in height and about as wide if allowed to grow freely. The hummers love it.

Don't you love the auto-correct... I have had to teach myself to slow down and 'proof' my electronic mail... too easy for that auto correct to change things and thoroughly confuse everyone! -:)

I got a box of plants from a DG friend in the mail yesterday... I am having fun finding places for them... lot's of coneflowers, bee balm, geraniums, etc. etc.. I have been enjoying myself... but I run out of daylight too quickly to get everything planted. It will probably take me the rest of this week to get everything settled and watered in. Darn work anyhow!! LOL! I so enjoy receiving plants from my DG friends. I have a nice collection of things and each time I walk through my garden it reminds me of my friends. And the added bonus is that my pollinators will love everything she sent my way.

Looking forward to the photos when you have time to get them posted. Enjoy your time working in the BEES.... btw...how are the passiflora doing? Nancy

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Hi Jules! Good to see that you are going on with your project. The little cocktail umbrellas are a great idea for protecting the seedlings. You go girl!

Hugs,
Adina

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi guys, I'm really sorry I haven't been able to post regularly. A lot is going on with my family. My step-Mom passed away, my Mom had to be moved from one B&C to another. Then there were weddings and birthdays.
I have been spending all my spare time in the bfly gardens. I've seeded, transplanted, watered and weeded. I've been fighting off rabbits, squirrels, rats and birds. They are winning. Seriously, those rotten rodents have eaten every annual I've planted this year. It's disheartening. Sigh!
However, you can't blame them with the drought going on. Even still some things in the gardens are thriving. Like my bfly bushes. The red and blue salvias, even the lantana, which does get chewed up but not killed by rodents. The passiflora is doing exactly what I'd hoped and is covering the tipi frame. One vine has already reached the top of the poles! It is now host to the Gulf Frittilary bfly. The Cassia I've planted has become home for a lot of Sulpher bflys. The milkweed is thriving but until my bday earlier this month, I hadn't spotted a single Monarch. I was seriously thinking of kidnapping some cats, but Creator smiled on me and brought me some Monarchs. I saw some at the BEES gardens and some showed up here at home. I'm really hoping to see some caterpillars soon. :-)
Have some photos to share but since I'm using my phone, I don't know what order they will appear.
Once again I want to thank everyone for there ongoing support. :-)
WIB~
SW

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I've got more photos to post.
1. Gulf Frit cat.
2. Infestation of aphids on milkweed.
3. The concrete Birdbath I was able to pick up for $10 at a yard sale.
4. The concrete benches I put under the Elderberry. It's a nice shady area.
5. The puddling station.

More to come.

WIB~
SW

(Pegi) Norwalk, CA(Zone 10b)

I haven't been here much, so had to go back to the beginning and discover more interesting things. I love what you are doing, Jules, seeing the butterfly garden and passion vine in person was so great. I pray for rain so we all can enjoy watching everything grow. I'm anxious to see "Darwin's" tree prosper. I'm happy to have part of him on your farm.

Outside my kitchen window I can see this beautiful bush, in the neighbor's back yard, that attracts butterflies and humming birds. I have a feeder hanging from my patio cover in front of the bush so I can enjoy watching them. Hugs

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Really enjoyed seeing you and showing you the progress I've been making. Darwin's tree is growing strong. Just sorry I got sick.
I have some more photos to post.
1. Butterfly on Penta.
2. GF cats that I rescued from Lowes, and released on the maypops.
3. View of one of the flower beds.
4. Flower from the Maypops.
5. A cool looking Butterfly shaped water sprinkler.

WIB~
SW

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Great job , Jules! Love the way you arranged the poles and the white benches.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks Adina, there is always more to do but I enjoy all the visitors. I was just thinking about all the different types of birds, and bugs that are attracted to the gardens.

I was surprised by the Bumblebees and the number of Swallowtails that have been visiting. I continue to see Monarchs, but as yet haven't seen any caterpillars.

The Gulf Frittilary and the Sulphur Butterflies are doing great!

We got some thunderstorms in our area today, but it didn't rain here.

Trying to keep busy, but it's been hard since my Mom passed away last week. It's hard to stay focused.

The BEES gardens are a wonderful place to hang out. I find it peaceful and healing.

WIB~
SW

Winnetka, CA

Julie...

So sorry to hear about your mother passing. Condolences to you and your family.

It has been so very hot here that it's difficult to do much in the gardens. I spend the bulk of my time trying to keep everything hydrated. I am looking forward to fall when I can garden again.

Nancy

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I hear you Nancy. We got tstorms today. Yay! I didn't have to water today.

Mom hasn't been doing well for a long time. Dementia is a hard way to go. I was grateful that we had just been to visit her, about an hour before she passed away. The Nurse thought she was holding on for one more visit before she departed.

I too will be glad to see cooler weather. It's been hard to get out there when it's been so hot and humid.

WIB~
SW

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.