Fudge Cake with Stout Glaze

Midland, TX(Zone 8a)

This is one yummo cake! I love that you let the frosting puddle and then fill the funnel hole with all the glaze that is left (and there will be plenty.) As you serve the slices, each person can opt to add more glaze (which is more like a creamy chocolate frosting). Excellent served with vanilla ice cream. Make a beautiful and decadent dessert by putting ice cream in a bowl, add a slice of cake, add an extra spoon of glaze, and top with some raspberries. I have son's b'day and granddaughter's graduation from college the same weekend next month, and I am making two of these.

Note that the recipe calls for a 6-cup bundt pan, but I used a 9 1/2" diameter bundt pan, and it came out fine. Just be sure to prep the pan well so it will slide out when cooled.

FUDGE CAKE WITH STOUT GLAZE
Nancy Fuller/foodnetwork.com

Yield: 1 (6-Cup) Bundt Cake

Fudge Cake:
Nonstick cooking spray (recommend Baker's Joy or other oil/flour spray)
16 T (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened (I use salted)
2 C granulated sugar
1 C coffee, warm (I add 1 tsp instant coffee)
2 large eggs
2 C A-P flour
3/4 C Dutch Process unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Double Dutch Dark Cocoa Powder
(I use Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa Powder)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 C sour cream
1 tsp almond extract

Stout Glaze:
1 C heavy cream
8 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped (I use 4 oz bittersweet + 4 oz semi-sweet)
1/4 C confectioner's sugar (powdered sugar)
1/4 C stout

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/nancy-fuller/fudge-cake-with-stout-glaze.html?oc=linkback

For the cake: Preheat the oven to 350° F. Spray a 6-C bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray.

Beat the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Pour the coffee over the top and beat until the butter is fully melted. Add the eggs one at a time, then continue to beat until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is very smooth.

Reduce the mixer speed to medium-low and beat in the flour, cocoa powder, salt, sour cream and almond extract until just combined. Pour into the bundt pan and bake until a cake tester inserted center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes (~210° on instant-read thermometer). Cool completely in the pan on a baking rack, about 30 minutes, and then invert onto the rack and turn right-side up. Transfer the cake to a serving plate that will fit in a cake saver.

For the glaze: Bring the heavy cream to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk in the chocolate, confectioners sugar and stout until the chocolate melts. Poke holes in the cooled cake with a toothpick or wooden skewer, pour the warm glaze over and let extra glaze ooze onto plate and pour what is left into the funnel hole. The cake will keep for 2-3 days at room temperature.

~ pen

This thread has 4 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!