(Pollyk) Polly Kinsman

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Polly Kinsman, known to us as 'Pollyk' joined DG on January 1, 2004. she passed away on April 21st, 2015 after a battle with cancer. She loved her perennials and was an expert on care and propagation and always enjoyed a teaching moment. She was quick to welcome newbies and was always on hand to answer questions, no matter how small.

Many of you may not know she was also a vendor and her business, Siberian Iris Gardens was one of the most beloved among mail order gardeners. She was careful to leave her vendor hat at the door and was just another gardener when she joined in the conversations here at DG, always helpful, encouraging and cheerful.

She was a good friend to many and her loss will be deeply felt here.

"Flowers have spoken to me more than I can tell in written words. They are the hieroglyphics of angels, loved by all men for the beauty of their character, though few can decipher even fragments of their meaning." ~Lydia M. Child

Thumbnail by melody
Ocean Springs, MS

Oh, I am so sorry to hear this. Polly was very kind and generous. She sent me seeds and plants after Katrina hit to help me start over. Her precious gifts will live on, but I will miss her dearly! Heaven has another angel to play in its gardens! ♥

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

No words yet, just sadness... but I wanted to post condolences for her family and friends. *hugs* and prayers...

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Over a week since this news came to me, still can't suppress the tears...

Polly was the kindest and most generous of all the wonderful folks I've met here. Everywhere I look in my garden, I see a beautiful gift she sent me.

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I received word today that the WKBG in Owensboro KY would be honored to host the Polly Kinsman Memorial Garden. I have posted a new thread with details on the iris forum. I hope you will join me in honoring Polly, and that the collection will reflect her love of Siberian irises. I am starting them off with my collection of 40+ named varieties.
Mittsy

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Good work, mittsy. My SIL and BIL live in Owensboro so I might even get to see the Memorial Garden sometime.

Wonderful, it is truly a special place. Beautiful all year long. Both my grandsons and son volunteer for first Saturdays where they do any work necessary to keep the gardens and houses looking well cared for. I have lots of pictures so to give you an idea here are a few. This is the area surrounding the koi pond. I love the green bridge over the stream and the waterfalls..

Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy

The Peony garden in May when I visited.

Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy

A few more of the tall bearded irises. I love the yellow ones that they use to decorate the tables for the Mother's Day Brunch. I have been lucky enough to have been visiting at the right weekend, twice. Wonderful food and a beautiful walk through the garden. My grandson Jarrod liked one meal so much that he requested the recipe and got it.

Here are two of the Siberians that they have on display Eric the Red and Blue Pennant. They do so well in KY, that I know the Memorial to Polly will be just beautiful.

Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy

Just a brief update to let you know that my son recently reported to me that the sign is under construction and will be made from oak with routed letters. He promised pictures upon completion.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.