Invasive and spiky groundcover. What is it??

Kingsland, GA

This plant started out in a few places last year and this spring, has taken over half of my parents yard. I'm trying to figure out what it is so I can deal with it.

It is very low growing and just seems like a groundcover until the the spiky parts grow in about a month later. They dry out and turn brown while the rest of the plant stays green. Any help, even just a name, will be very much appreciated. I've been searching all month and can't seem to find it on the internet.

Thanks!!

Thumbnail by tuolivia Thumbnail by tuolivia
Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

I don't know what it is, but we have some growing on a steep bank. Wish we had more of it. It looks like fluffy carrot stems. LOL

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

If you post this on the plant id forum it will receive a much wider viewing by members extensive id capabilities and will likely obtain a rapid resolution of your question.

Kingsland, GA

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the plant id forum :)

We were fine with the plant in the beginning. It is very spongy and I thought they'd found the perfect groundcover to deal with the heat by accident. But the spurs are absolute terrors and you can't walk in sandals without getting spiked constantly.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.