Help! 1st amaryllis

Waterford, NY(Zone 5b)

This was given to me yesterday because the original owner had no idea what to do with it. I've been reading and watching videos and I feel like I missed out on a flower this year. I'm not quite sure how to proceed with it. Any advice would be very much appreciated

Thumbnail by Kizykowski6682
East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Looks overwatered so stop. You might lose present foliage but it will get new leaves. If prev owner kept indoors, it's possible it has already bloomed as you suspect. But you can put it outside during warm months and bring indoors when cold. Should bloom for you either next winter ( indoors) or in spring (outdoors) and in subsequent years.

It is a bulb and bulbs rot quickly in excessive moisture. I think there's hope of recovering and enjoying for many years, given the proper care.

Waterford, NY(Zone 5b)

Thanks! I had just watered it prior to taking the pic and did dump the excess water. It was completely dry when she gave it to me. I've seen YouTube videos that say you need to trim it down in the fall and store in a dark cool place for a few months. Is that necessary, or can I just let it keep going as is and expect a bloom?

Waterford, NY(Zone 5b)

Also, the original owner did say that the plant had never bloomed for her

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

The bulb may have been immature (not bloom ready), or plant was not attended to properly so plant too weak to bloom, or its biological clock is set to bloom next spring/summer. You can keep plant in its pot during winter, just like you would keep a tropical or a houseplant. I don't see a need to trim foliage but perhaps one of our northern gardeners will chime in about that. Again, I think that treating it like a houseplant during cold season is sufficient.

Waterford, NY(Zone 5b)

Thanks so much! I'm so excited to see what she does!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.