FIRST FLOWERS OF SPRING 2015 'Mid Spring'

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1389990/#post_10058148

NOID Hellebore - our prettiest one so far (we have 7 babies that haven't bloomed ever)
Dutch Master and Golden Echo
NOID - will someone help me with this one? I really want to know its name
Professor Einstein
Sally's fern leaf Corydalis

Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Thalia
Rapture
Salome
NOID Pulmonaria from Catmint
Various spring bulbs

Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

That Hellebore is a real beauty

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

NOID Hellebore - anyone have an id?
Geranium Daff
'Live Bouquet'
Blood Root

Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4 Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I was distracted by the kids this afternoon... trying to pick daffodils before the forecasted storm. If it misses us, I should be able to get a lot of photos tomorrow of the different kinds of daffs blooming out there... if it hits us, it'll flatten a lot of flowers, especially the heavy-headed double daffodils.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah for sure. I think we're going to miss the storms tonight. There was a tornado warning north of us. Anyway, I really liked your Mag 'Ann' in the last thread. Very pretty.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Beautiful pictures! Some of my daffs smell nice if I get right up to a bloom to take a whiff, but not if I'm just walking by them. But then, I don't have large drifts of them like Jill's!

Seq, seeing your corydalis reminded me that mine hasn't even shown up yet. I guess it died over winter. How do you like your pulmonaria? I want to try one, maybe a pink-flowering one.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I love my pulmonaria. This is a plant that I stuck right next to my Dawn Redwood. During the summer, it's fully shaded (bright), with taller plants around it, and the tree roots sucking moisture, and it did great last year. I have another one but a different color that I tucked in right next to a slowmound mugo pine and it is also doing nice. I bought another at a nursery recently and it's in the 'pending' line waiting planting.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

SSG, I'll make a note to bring you a corydalis, or just come up and dig a bunch of them if you'd like (pick daffs, too!)... I still have too many volunteers out front! Mine stayed green most of the winter, oddly enough, so maybe yours just didn't "take."

We need to get a couple of sweet-scented daffs on the ADR list for fall... find any old corner for them and just cut them for bouquets. I've got a couple of daffodil bouquets in the house this morning, and the house smells great!

As soon as we finish up the quick caladium order, I'll start a thread in the group buy forum for fall bulbs. Donner has already picked out some amaryllises that she wants, and Terri has my ADR catalog, so I know we're underway! :-)

Sequoia, that 'Ann' is a favorite of mine, too, in part because one of my dearest friends shares its name. I picked it up 6? years ago at the Leesburg garden festival, and it's finally coming into its own. The blooms are similar to a star magnolia, but deeper in color, and it's a much smaller tree.

I didn't realize corydallis could be evergreen. It's possible that mine wasn't happy in that location (right next to the concrete walkway). I'd love to give it another go!

I got a bouquet of daffs together for my mom and she loved it. I do have some very sweet smelling daffs that are planted next to the fritillaria, but the skunky scent is currently overpowering the sweet scent!

Korean Spice viburnum is the best smelling thing in my garden, and it's currently in full bloom. What a lovely scent.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

My corydalis was probably the first thing to break dormancy in the garden where it lives. I was impressed as I think there was still snow on the ground.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

LOL... maybe it really wasn't evergreen, maybe it just re-sprouted under the snowbank along the front walk! It's definitely tougher than it looks. I think individual plants might be short-lived, but it re-seeds readily (hence my extras). It's not thuggish, though, because it's shallow-rooted and easily pulled.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Bummer to hear it's short-lived. I like that plant so hopefully it reseeds or I'll have to get more from you or Sally.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Seq, Jill and I may be talking two different Corydalis. I gave you fern leafed (which blooms yellow). Jill in the past gave me lutea, commonly called 'yellow corydalis'

Korean Spice Vibrunum IS awesome. Have to steal some from neighbor..

Kerria is now covered in big yellow single flowers, Jan you're gonna love it in a couple years!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jeff--

I posted this link a few posts ago on this Nursery that grows hellebores.

The list of varieties is unbelievable--along with pictures of each.
maybe you can find the ID to your Hellebore in pic. #1 here.

http://www.hollandbulbfarms.com/itemdesc.asp?item=Dick-Wilden-Daffodil&cat=DAFFSDOUBLE&ic=82149

Gita

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jeff--forgot to say that your flowers are beautiful!

My Tahiti Daffs are all in bloom now as are the ones someone called
yellow Salome(?). These grow all around my KK Hibiscus.

Here's a few from my beds.

--Love this pure white daff....
--Tahiti Daffs in my WS bed
--Salome Daffs-- close
--Salome Daffs all around my KK HIbiscus

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Sallyg, I'll look forward to it. Does it like wet feet? I'm thinking about removing some forsythia. The area has the potential to stay wet if the neighbor's yard drain doesn't drain. It realiy looks great! Thank you again!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Great daffs G! Thanks for the link, I'll have to check it out later.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Beautiful daffodils, Seq and Gita!

I like that "live bouquet", Sequoia; you did a great job at flower arranging!

1 - not a flower, but I think this emerging NOID fern looks really cool

2 - pink and white Bleeding Hearts and emerging Columbines

3 - Allegheny Serviceberry (Amelanchier laevis, I think)

4 - Spring Beauties (Claytonia virginica) that just appeared under my Japanese Maple tree. I didn't plant them and have no idea how they got there....hitchhikers that came home with me from the woods, maybe.

Thumbnail by Muddy1 Thumbnail by Muddy1 Thumbnail by Muddy1 Thumbnail by Muddy1
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

What's on those ferns? It looks like they are emerging through some nasty brown slime. Weird. I'm so excited to come to your house for the swap. From all your pics I've built up a mental image of your yard in my mind and I'm really looking forward to it.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jeff---

The link I posted above is not the one i wanted to post.
That was when i was looking for a name on my ruffles Daff.

Here is the link for the hellebores.

http://www.thimblefarms.com/hellebore.html

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Jan, I don't know any more about Kerria preferences

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Brace yourselves.....tonight--it will be down to 39* or lower i the more
northern areas.
Glad I did not plant all the flowers I bought. They are still sitting on my patio table...
Tomatoes are still under my lights...now about 12" tall...Mamma Mia!

Spring's last Hurrah! I hope.......G.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah G, we're supposed to go down to 36 tonight, 34 Thursday night, and 34 Friday night. Sheesh! I'm glad I haven't planted anything yet. I'll have to shove everything into the garage. I just cut the tops off a bunch of my winter sown seedlings too. Grrr...stupid weather. At least this weekend is supposed to be gorgeous though.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yep, hanging baskets are coming back inside! LOL

But my peonies are about to bloom! :( I hope the frost stays way north of us. They're expecting below-average temps for the next week or two.

Fortunately, the only tropicals I've potted up are the elephant ears, but they're in pretty large containers so they'd be awkward to move around.

Did anyone else get hail Monday night? We got 1/4 inch hail but there wasn't any plant damage, as far as I could tell.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I have 4 trays of annuals I purchased--some of them at Chapel Hill,
and one tray at Walmart--yes! --jut b/c I was there... skinny 6-cells of annuals--
$1.82. They must have just gotten them in--as everything was still pristine...
I covered them up with an old sheet on the table--I think it will be OK.

Put my 2 brought out Brugs and Hibiscus in the shed. Brought my one Fig
from last year back inside. That's it!

It was horrendous at the HD.....I watered all day--as usual--
Bell lady was there--and she emptied out a lot of annuals from tables onto carts
and I pulled about 12 loaded carts into the Green House--all lined up.
We are fortunate to have one....most newer stores do not.

I am royally tired! It has been a hard-work-day. G.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Sequoia, whatever's on the fern is something that comes with that particular one. I don't know what kind of fern it is, but I'm really curious and hope I can ID it.

We didn't get any hail or much of anything else during the storm except thunder and lightening.

I can hear greenthumb saying that we all worry too much about our plants : - )
but still....during the cold nights, I'm planning to re-cover seedlings in trays that were covered until a few weeks ago. I've already put clear dome covers on some and will cover others with a garbage bag or some other lightweight thing to keep the frost off.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Speaking of ferns, I was really surprised to see that the ferns I got from you last spring swap didn't spread at all over the winter. I thought ferns were supposed to run and spread? Maybe not.

I'm pretty sure I'll bring everything inside the garage and put it out in the morning when I go to work. If I didn't take the tops of my WS seedlings, I'd have left them outside. I'm more worried about frost damage than the actual temps. If the winds are strong enough, there will be no frost. We'll see. I don't think it will be as bad as last year though. I remember last week, last year, we got two back to back days of a hard freeze. Darn near burnt all my Gingko's leaves. I also had a bunch of new mail order shrubs planted with leaves on them.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I didn't know that strong winds = no frost! Good; it's pretty windy here.

The ferns only spread when it's warm.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

So are you saying they will spread this summer? Or are you saying they didn't spread because it was so cold this winter?

Yeah even a light wind will keep frost away. Maybe 5 mph or more. We're in a freeze watch though so wind won't stop things from freezing :(

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

What species of fern is it? For sure it didn't spread during the winter because even evergreen ferns are essentially dormant during cold weather. During warm weather some species of ferns spread by rootstock/rhizome, others simply develop a wider clump/crown rather that new plants.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

It's a native Ostrich fern. We had them at my house growing up and they spread like wildfire. I was expecting these to spread too but they didn't at all. I figured it'd spread over the winter because a lot of plants are active below the soil, at least the spreading type plants, during that time.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Remember the rule of thumb when it comes to growing perennials...

The first year they sleep.
The second year they creep.
The third year they LEAP!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Haha, yes that is true but somehow in my pea brain I don't think those rules should apply to my yard...LOL

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Sequoia, they'll spread for sure, maybe more than you want. If you want more fullness now, I can give you some more. I have little ones popping up all over the area I thought I had completely cleared.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Some of our current bloomers:

1 - Tiarella wherryi - Foamflower

2 - Trillium sessile - Toadshade

3 - Trillium grandiflorum - Wake Robin

4. Viola sororia 'Freckles' - Woolly Blue Violet

5 - Dicentra 'Candy Hearts'

Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Some shrubs:

1 - Kerria japonica 'Pleniflora'

2 - Pieris japonica 'Mountain Fire' - Not blooms, but the new spring growth, more striking than the white flowers of a few weeks ago.

3 - Fothergilla major 'Mt. Airy'

Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

More flowers:

1 - Mertensia virginica - Virginia Bluebells

2 - Dicentra spectabilis 'Alba' - White Bleeding Heart

3 - Mitella diphylla - Bishop's Cap - flowers are small, be are like filigree.

4 - Phlox divaricata - Blue Woodland Phlox

Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Beautiful pics GT

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.