Peony White Powdery Mildew

Washington, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi, I started have this issue with my peonies 3 years ago where they are beautiful bright green foliage and blooming, then they get this white powder mildew on them. I tried baking soda and over the counter treatments to no avail.

Any idea how to treat it?

Natick, MA

I have not seen this, Groovy, but googled and I learn something new every day.
Others may have suggestions, but you might find this link helpful:

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/powdery-mildew-peonies-30484.html

Washington, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks valal! I will have to do some research. Last year I dug up a few plants and split the root, I also washed all of the old dirt off and put new dirt in the hole. Hopefully that will help.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

This happens to my peonies every year in certain locations. It doesn't seem to affect them. I don't cut the foliage down as they absorb nutrients. It does not usually show up until a while after blooming, and by that time, there are lots of blooming plants in the garden, so they are not so noticeable.

Olathe, KS(Zone 5a)

I started getting mildew last 2 years - I use a sprinkler and micro sprayers - I think the overhead sprinkler is causing the problem. I used baking soda mix but still got the mildew. Next spring I am adding more micro sprayers and will remove the sprinkler.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Some of these problems might be caused because the peonies are not getting cut down in the fall. It is always recommended that you do this, which is tough because the peonies have such lovely color in the fall. But I have a wonderful client, and they had stopped cutting down their peony foliage about five years before, and now every year the foliage looked terrible, with lots of black spotting. I cut their peonies to the ground and used sulphur a couple of time before the end of the season, and the next year the peonies looked fresh and new again and didn't have the leaf problems.

I don't have those problems, but for what it's worth I also use soaker hoses to keep moisture away from the leaves. The alternative is to water early in the day, but we can get a lot of humidity.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.