Should I be seeing my Icelandic Poppy by now?

Beaver Falls, PA(Zone 6a)

For the second time, I've purchased an Icelandic Poppy, and I'm disappointed that it never comes back for me. Should I be seeing some green growth where it's planted by now? It gets morning sun and no really hot afternoon sun. Both times, the plant went dormant when the weather got really hot here, but I expected it to return in the spring. It's well mulched and the area gets watered if we don't have adequate rainfall.

Should I just plan on growing them as annuals and start seeds by winter sowing every year?

Pretty much everything is actively growing or showing green growth here by now. My Fern Leaf Bleeding Heart, planted near it, is up, growing and even blooming right now!

Linda

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Annuals for me here near Seattle, I don't know why.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I planted two once and they never returned. Probably should be treated as an annual.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

They are short-lived perennials that selfseed readily here. I'd expect you should be seeing it by now in your zone, if it's wintered over successfully.

Beaver Falls, PA(Zone 6a)

Guess I can probably write this one off too. They must be less hardy than regular poppies.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

It probably isn't an issue of cold hardiness but more of an issue of something like winter wet.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Right. They're hardy in zone 1.

Jamaica Plain, MA(Zone 6a)

I find that about half of my Icelandic poppies come back the next year and half don't. I usually end up buying a few pots of them every year because I love to have them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.