'Rosemohr' 1949 C. H Lewis Finally Bloomed!

Concord, NC

Been Waiting 5 years Since 2010 when my Son got this Variety for my 1949 Cultivar Garden to grow with Summit and Helen Collingwood..to finally get Good Enough Blooms to Photograph..second year 2012 there was one tiny unformed bloom that got ruined by the rain..It was raining here this morning when this perfect bloom popped open and four more buds yet to open so hope to get some better ones in a day or two in the True Sunlight. As people can see this Iris by Charles H. Lewis of Kansas City, Kansas.. Clearly has Aril Heritage with the Magenta Purple Coloring typical of an Arilbred and Also has the Mohr shape Standards larger and taller than falls. This is the true ROSEMOHR child of Ormohr 1937 by Kleinsorge of Oregon and this Image and it's description to a T fits the Catalog Description for it whether another site devoted to Historic Iris Agrees or Not. DG Now not only has ROSEMOHR in Plantfiles but Also Correct Images with a detailed History of this Beautiful Plant!

Thumbnail by themikesmom
Concord, NC

some other views of this first ROSEMOHR bloom

Thumbnail by themikesmom Thumbnail by themikesmom Thumbnail by themikesmom Thumbnail by themikesmom
Concord, NC

Heres the Link to ROSEMOHR here at DG in plantfiles http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/141614 I did a write up on it about the history of it. It's parentage is [(Ormohr) x(Red Valor)] It was Created at Lewis Flower Gardens that located at 4512 State Line Rd. Kansas City, Kansas. Any One live near by there? would be amazing to see how many beautiful old irises are still growing in that area and surrounding neighboorhoods or old farm houses.

Thumbnail by themikesmom Thumbnail by themikesmom Thumbnail by themikesmom Thumbnail by themikesmom Thumbnail by themikesmom
Lyndon, IL(Zone 5a)

Nice ! Well worth the wait !

Concord, NC

:-) Thanks Arlyn..i had been researching last year when i put the rest of the C. H .Lewis one's in plantfiles, and the other ones of his, thought to still possibly be in Existence are: 'Purple Opal' 1959, Ceylon Sapphire' 1940, and Blackness 1957. I understand he had very few Registered ones, under 20 or so.. but sold many hundreds of seedlings and cultivars that were unregistered of his. 'Kansas Cream' was one he registered thought to be extinct. 'Kansas Ingleside' by Another Kansas Hybridizer ''Hill'' Iris and Peony Farm of Lafontaine, Kansas, is one i hope to Eventually get. It is Such a lovely glowing historic red.

Lyndon, IL(Zone 5a)

I grow Kansas Ingleside, if it survives the botrytis that's running rampant n my beds, I'll send you a piece.

Concord, NC

Kool! Sent You a PM! :-)

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Gorgeous!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.