Yardening Midatlantic Late april 2015

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

"Hey, whatcha doin?"

coming from here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1388740/#new
to continue planning paths in Robin's garden, or whatever else..general yard work. Newbies and guests welcome anytime. As soon as you post once you are no longer a newbie or guest, just part of the conversation!

Thumbnail by sallyg
Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm trying to figure out what to do with my volunteer Aralia spinosa (Devil's Walkingstick), which I first noticed last year. I happened across your very informative article again while doing some research (I found it last year as well) http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1764/

I really like its looks, but right now I'm leaning towards planting it along the creek in the forest; there's a perfect spot for it, and the deer might actually leave it alone!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Nice koala!

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

It is a cute little guy (gal?).

Muddy, if in doubt, move it sooner rather than later, those thorns don't get any easier to handle. LOL.
I moved a six foot tall one two years ago, what a fool I am.

stock photo from the sample file lol

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I definitely have to move it because it's growing too close to one of my shrubs. Fortunately, it's less than a foot tall now. You must have gotten pretty scratched up when you moved it!

It wasn't too bad digging. I had to find a couple main side roots and chop them. To move it, I wrapped several plastic bags around the trunk and dragged it. I held it by the bagged part while DS2 piled dirt on the roots. We didn't get physically wounded (though he may be 'scarred for life' living with a lunatic gardener)

So yeah, you can wrap the stickery part and hold it. I don't even remember how I got it in the first place, maybe mine came from a bird too.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

C'mon. Moving Aralia spinosa is not a big deal.

I have many more scars - which will likely be shared with you both next week - from merely working around the various and sundry Rubus sp. populating the Valley. Should I mention the Gleditisa triacanthos?

I'd tell you both to "man up" but I think you just may be pistillate members of a dioecious species...

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Scary koala. I didn't dare post anything at the end of the other thread, for fear Sally would sic him on me.

I've been adding trees & shrubs to our little treeline, finally realized I have to get serious about putting in or at least marking where the pathway should be... I kept eyeballing it, but every once in a while Martina would look at where I had pots placed and ready to be dug in and say, wait, isn't that where you said your path was? LOL

It's definitely good to consider the "natural" traffic pattern as well as areas that are more suited to being path than plants (as Muddy mentioned). It's also good to plan where any larger trees/shrubs will go, to be sure your path allows space for their mature size. Also pay attention to the shape/size of the garden areas formed by the pathway... anything less than 4 feet wide gets harder to plan/plant.

I used to draw everything out, but for the past couple of years I've mostly started "winging it" when it comes to plant placement. It helps that I generally place & plant a dozen things at a time, so I can plan as I go. But it's hard to visualize the mature sizes of perennials & shrubs... I may be trying to move or REmove things in a few years!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Hey, did VV just call us girlie girls??

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

You know, I think he did !

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Well! I resemble that remark!

Now, now.

I only calls 'em as I sees 'em - or has 'em described to me.

Critter:

I think what you are commenting upon is known as "editing". That is the hallmark of a true and wise gardener.

Staminate members of MidAt include Terp and David - that I've met.

The rest of you darn well better be the fairer (and fructiferous) members...

Per your terminology, I'm not aware of any Viola x wittrockiana amongst you...

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I hate to break it to you, but Sequoiadendron does not fall into that category ; - )

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

That is, he's a staminate member.

We're just funning with you VV, we know you don't think we're Viola x wittrockiana.

Sequoiadendron has not weighed in on this current conversation. I have not yet had the pleasure of meeting this illustrious MidAt member.

I'll reserve judgement on attributes till that time...

Can you plant a 3" caliper shade tree by 9:00 a.m.?

If so, you're on the Quercus macrocarpa team. All others are on the taxi squad with the flats of Viola sp.

tooooo funny

So, Calamity Jane was technically a 'pistil' packin mama?

Aside: "sic" may be derived from "seek", as in Seek, (the prey) boy! ..Seek them.... Sic 'em. Sadly, the young uns may be writing Sick on the interwebby thingies, sigh, kids these days...

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Good one, Sally! I can't keep up with this group's puntastic quips.

What does it mean if your hosta declines? I have two hostas in my death bed that are doing great. The newest hosta ('Liberty,' I think) was rather weak last year and this year it's sending up only one pip.

I don't know except for voles liking them. I've poked at pips only to find the entire bottom eaten away

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

Thank goodness I picked up that huge plant book that was on the table at one of our swaps, otherwise I'd be lost, lol.
Holly as for the path following the trail in the grass, the front yard has NO grass, it is all garden. Only two things to work around, a small stump in one side of the yard and a tree on the other side, well there is a narrow sidewalk up the center too.

Robin, you might at least want a few stepping stones. I guess they can go anywhere between.

Ripped up a lot of extra Obedient Plant, anyone want? I can pot some.

I have what I think is Black and Blue Salvia. coleup gave it to me two years ago.It was overflowing last summer onto the sidealk. It again survived in my zone 8 bed. I thought I'd just find stray runners popping up. When I dug it to move today. I found tubers. Tubers on a Salvia?? Like the size of carrots! Fat short carrots.
wow!!
http://blog.arrowheadalpines.com/2009/10/save-your-salvia-black-and-blue-tubers.html

This message was edited Apr 19, 2015 4:44 PM

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Good gosh you guys are too funny, and I definitely needed to look up most of those words to get it. I wanted to chime in with some witticisms of my own, but as usual, I can't think of anything even remotely on par with what you guys come up with.

I did get lots of yardening done today - gorgeous day for it and I had Mike, Lowell, and Suzanne helping. This is the third spring that Lowell has been living here, and I think we each have our part of the cleanup figured out and down to a nice rhythm now. The beds are getting in much better shape too, and it doesn't take near as much work as it did that first spring Lowell and Suzanne were helping me.

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

I will be using pieces of flag stone for my paths, Steve has plenty of it laying around.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

You've trained them well, Terri!

Sally, I'd love some Obedient plant if you have some extra. Your hydrangea from last year is looking really happy.

This message was edited Apr 19, 2015 8:02 PM

sure thing Pat!

I did quite a bit of transplanting yesterday. I wanted to take advantage of the oncoming rains.

Several ground covers had to be moved around to make room for Tiger Eyes sumac.

I finally got a Magnolia 'Jane' and planted it in a prominent location, but there was a problem. I wrote about it in the Trees forum: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1391764/

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes VV, I'm definitely a 'staminate' member of the MAG :) If you had to describe my attributes in plant form, I'd say Bald cypress..LOL

Got tons of stuff done this weekend. The only thing I wanted to get done but didn't was to spray Daconil on my pyracantha line. It was too windy Sunday and I didn't feel like being coated with the stuff.

I have to see your yard sometime ssgardener, esp ''tiger Eyes', well, everybody's...

it is really nice to have time for planting and then have it rained in! more rain tonight. might be overkill for this week lol

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Sally, SSG's garden is a must see. Lovely plants, neat, well-tended.

Oh shucks, thanks, greenthumb!

Sally, you're welcome to visit any time you're in the area, but you could easily stop by when we go to Yehudith's summer garden party in June! I'm only about 10 min from her.

I think late April/May is the best time in my garden, though. I have very few blooms in June because that's when the late summer/fall bloomers get their haircut.

yay!
april -May is wonderful in all our gardens. It's hard to argue with all this blooming

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah that is the best time for sure. Lately when I've been shopping, I've been trying to get ones that bloom in July/August for shady areas and May/June for Sun areas.

Sally, we could use even more rain. We got .5" last night but yesterday when I mowed, tons of dust kicked up because it was so dry. Put me down for a nice 1" soaking please.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Quote from greenthumb99 :
Sally, SSG's garden is a must see. Lovely plants, neat, well-tended.
It sure is one of the loveliest gardens I seen.

Thank you, Holly! I really think your garden is one of the loveliest *I* have seen, especially the water features. I could stare at your large-leaf water garden all day.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

SSG, both you and Holly leave me in awe! I bite off more than I can chew and don't do enough to/with what is already in the garden.

Anybody interested in getting CALADIUMS from Bill please go here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1391845/#new

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I was walking around the yard and noticed this little gem growing in my scrap soil area. Hey G, remember the Monkshood you gave me last fall? Yup, a piece of root or something must have found its way into my soil mound somehow. I'll let it grow out and see what happens.

Thumbnail by Sequoiadendron4

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.