Some Spring Flowers

Lakeland, FL(Zone 10a)

In order-Amaryllis papilio (the Butterfly Amaryllis), Cochlospermum vitifolium 'Florepleno', (the double flowered Buttercup Tree), Tecomanthe venusta (each flower ~5" long, 1" wide, many bud heads waiting their turn), and Combretum aubletii (half the buds open).

Thumbnail by popper1 Thumbnail by popper1 Thumbnail by popper1 Thumbnail by popper1
noonamah, Australia

I've had Hippeastrum papilio for about 7 or 8 years. The bulbs are huge, produce lots of bulblets, but have never flowered. Was disappointed but then found out they require a cold climate to trigger the flowering. They're still growing nice and healthy though.

Cochlospermum frazeri is a native here and I have them growing wild on my place. But they're single flowered. In the wet season there's only leaves but dry season all the leaves drop and they're covered in flowers.

Always wanted to get Tecomanthe but they never seem to have them in nurseries here. They're a native on the east coast, not here though.

I really like the Combretum. Apparently that name is now a synonym of Combretum rotundifolium. Never seen it available here but would like to get one. There is a native Combretum, but only on the east coast. It's flowers are very ordinary looking.

Thanks for posting.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.