Creatures in the pond!

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Yuck! They're back! Toads, toads, and more toads! I love frogs, but the toads poison the water and the fish. We had one rain last night and this morning I stopped counting at 42 PAIRS of toads! I scoop them out and take them to a stream by the park. I'm not losing my koi again!

Athens, PA

Seems like the rains bring them out, MM. Where do they come from?

I have no clue where they just show up from! I even have a fenced back yard that goes all the way to the ground. One or 2 slipping in I would understand, but hundreds??

Thumbnail by MerryMary
Athens, PA

so gross - makes you wonder where they are hiding the rest of the time.

Decatur, GA

I better be careful what I say but so far I haven't had any toads in my pond.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

After that rain the other night I heard1 so hunted it down and moved it out of pond. I remember what happened to you last summer. I have never seen that many in one place. You must have something at your place that attracts them. Guess they just like ponds.

And I got at least 20 pairs out this morning again! Odd thing is, we live in a normal subdivision with a fenced back yard! Not out in the country, definitely NOT a big back yard! For bugs sake, I wouldn't care. But for fish ponding's sake, no way!

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Been up most of the night. They are singing their songs. Went out at 4am with spotlight and popped all off I could get to. Picture this--long nightgown and spotlight shining everywhere. If any neighbors were up they would think I was nuts. Do I care NO. Rain is bringing them out and the mosquitoes. Couldn't stay out there long as I was getting eaten alive. Now why don't the little buggers eat the mosquitoes. That would be helpful.

Hope aerator arrives today plus medicated food. Lord these fish are getting expensive to keep. They are very demanding. Just hope they live through it. I told Jeff if they all croak I'll fill it up with water plants and he said ""more frogs Mom". Oh yeah.

Yesterday they were acting peppier so I'm hoping for the best. They now have 80 pds. of salt in there and that's it. Didn't affect the one large umbrella plant in there.

The rain and hot sun is creating algae in my pool so that's another keep up with chore.

Oh well, we live in sunny Fla.

All the fish in small pond are flitting around fine. Go figure.

Athens, PA

How old would the smaller fish be Bonnie? It seems it was your larger fish, which leads me to thinking the same thing that MM stated. Did they spawn and are they ?

I have been out there in the middle of the night with flashlights too. I really don't care what the neighbors think anyway.

I hope everything works out alright for you. Keep us posted and good luck.

Carolyn

I go out every night with a flashlight and make one last round before hopping in to bed. Thank goodness I live in a subdivision and have a privacy fence! I've been brain-dead far too many times and left a hose on somewhere only to wake up to dead fish, so no more! A quick night walk is well worth it!

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

All the fish in larger pond are over 2 feet so they are old. My Goldie & Blondie I grew I know are 7 years old. They may have spawned but wasn't acting crazy like they are supposed to when they spawn.

Started the med. food yesterday for 10 days and put in new aerator. They are now swimming around and acting normal. Aerator designed for 5,000 gals and I only have 3 so we have loads of bubbles which they seem to love.

For now they are acting healthy again. Thank heavens.
Have really been cleaning out filtration material. Sludge is bad this year. Water is clear to the bottom and vacuum comes in handy for removing sludge.

We are back to happy land for now.

Last night I only heard a couple of toads so could sleep.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.