spawning

Decatur, GA

My koi spawned several days ago for one day. They now seem really down in the dumps and are not eating.
Do I need to worry? Thanks. Helen

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Hi,
Mine spawned for only one morning 2 days ago....then nothing. I don't know why they stopped or why they didn't ALL spawn. You're not alone! I think when the water temps change too quickly, they stop. We've all of a sudden had 90 degree days, so I think they just put it on hold for a while.

Ewwwww!!!!!

Thumbnail by MerryMary
Athens, PA

I know the water temps can greatly affect spawing, but my fish never all spawned on the same day. I always thought that perhaps all my females were ready at different times. Spawning was sometimes stretched out over several weeks for me.

Decatur, GA

My fish have hardly eaten anything since the day they spawned. They move around a little but mainly just hang at the bottom. I think its a coincidence though because I discovered my pond water is very acid. I have been adding stuff, one product and some baking soda, in hopes of getting this problem cleared up. I don't know much about the chemistry involved but have read its important not to make big changes fast. I will add more baking soda tomorrow. I have my fingers crossed.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Good luck Helen. Hope they start eating.

I just threw in some slices of watermelon and my koi devoured them! Maybe try some, or some frozen peas, just to switch things up.

Decatur, GA

Good idea MerryMary. They have started nibbling a little which I take as a very good sign. The pond water is still very acid (low Ph around 6.5). I am not sure if that is the reason or if it was from exhaustion for spawning. :- I have put some baking soda in the water but no changes my dip strips could detect.
I have some zucchini in the fridge. Maybe I'll chop up some and see if they like that.
I was about to order some fresh food pellets and was wondering which to choose. Kaytee pellets? Wardley? Tetra? I don't go for the $40 for a pound of food variety. I try to be a little be more economical. What do others feed?

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

I feed food from Arthurs Aquatics. 30% protein. My son bought some very small grow food for the little guys and it was $45. for 10 lbs. That's too high for me plus I can't see it after I throw it in. I just hope they are eating it and grow cause he's a hurry to see them stretch out. I don't mind waiting for them to grow. He got it from Arthur's also as they couldn't eat the 1/4" pellets I get.

I get 50 lbs. for around $65. and the big ones eat it up like pigs. There's some other folks who buy from there also on this forum.

Glad you reminded me of the peas. Last summer they loved them.

Heleen, hope your fishies get their appetite back.

My fish snacks are romaine, peas, and watermelon. Some day orange slices are very good for them, but I haven't tried it yet.
I get food off ebay ( I have a lot of big fish so get either 25 or 50 lbs) 50lbs goes for around $65 with free shipping, and I like it being delivered right to my front door. I believe it's 32% protein. If I have koi fry, I get a very small pellet that is a much higher protein. It also is a much higher price. I try to stay somewhere around $1.50 to $2.00 a lb max.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Yesterday morning when I went out to feed all the big ones were in one corner laying on the bottom. I thought they were all dieing but after I threw the peas and pellets in they came to life.
This morning racing at times and then still. Lots of foam yesterday on the water. Who knows maybe they are spawning. Anyhow they enjoyed the peas quickly.
Love makes all people and animals act crazy. LOL

I know what you mean MM feeding large fish is very expensive I've learned. I buy only when Arthur's Acquatics has a sale and free shipping. Every little bit helps.

What are you folks opinions on pond aeration?? I'm thinking of getting an aerator for the larger pond. It gets so hot here during the summer I'm afraid of an oxygen crash. Of course so far none have had problems with a lack of oxygen. Between small fountain and waterfalls they have done ok.

My husband added an air bubble last year while I was away. He was concerned that water was getting to hot. I think it was a great idea. He got if from that place in Apopka, the kind that has 4 air hose ports, so I can string it around to different corners of the pond. I know they have big pad aerators that you can put in the center of your pond, so I may get one of those. Although fountains are pretty, and add air, they also disturb the water too much to see the fish, which is what I have a pond for, so I think I'll go with the pad aerator.

Decatur, GA

My fish slowly recovered from their spawning experience. At least I think that was the cause but I still wonder about how much the pH being low is playing a part. The water is still clear and the fish are their usual hungry selves. I have a resident frog now too and I suppose that may be why I haven't seen any dragon flies though it may be to early for them.
I chopped up the zucchini into little tiny pieces. All I got was suspicion and no thanks. I will try some peas or something else another time.
Does anyone add baking soda to their water?
I have never used aeration but I think my little pond (1700 gals) doesn't need any extra.
Bonnie maybe your fish were having the proverbial 'cigarette' after their crazy stuff and you caught them napping. :-)
I ended up getting Kaytee pond food from Amazon Prime - free delivery. approx $2/lb. Reviews were good.

I've never added baking soda to my water. But then again, I also don't worry too much about the ph. Readings go up and down all day long, so it's hard to tell if you really need to worry about it. They always say to take 3 different readings at different times of the day, and then average them.
I don't cut up my veggies, they like to really work at it! I put large slices of watermelon in, and just pull out the rind after they've sucked it dry. I also just half romaine (the long way) and let it float on the water. They eventually start chewing it apart.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Some of the big ones are still laying on the bottom but since I have started the salt treatment they are coming alive more. Plus every day I am putting in some new water under pressure.
They love swimming in the bubbles so that tells me the aerator will help. Should be here tomorrow. After consulting with a new bus. called AquaDoc I'm on the right track. She said take PH reading same time every day cause it can fluctuate wildly. I have PH of 7.5 and no ammonia so that's good. Ordered medicated food today. I got really concerned when 1 of my butterfly got bloody veiny look on dorsal fin but this morning that was gone and she is swimming around some. Salt is wonderful and cheap.

Don't know the reason but this year sludge buildup is heavy so cleaning the filtration medium every other day. Also, vacuumed both ponds. Rain can affect water quality too. Weeks ago I did Proform-C and then Microblift PL and thought we were coming into summer with no sweat.
Water got hot so quick this year and I'm sure that also has an affect. There are no skin sores or the like on any of them.

MM reminded me of your gold one that was egg bound. I've got a couple that look loaded. I'm hoping they drop them soon. I realize what can happen from hearing of your experience.
My 2 originals Goldie & Blondie have remained strong through it all. Still swimming around and eating. I am feeding them very lightly. Have a feeling I was overfeeding. Dumb me.

Well lets hope we make it through all these fishy trials and they survive but if not I know that's part of owning fish.
Bonnie D.

I can honestly tell you I have not ever experienced the green water / sludge problem that I have this year! It's tremendous!!! UV lights are on, added barley/bactera/enzymes, salt, and am constantly cleaning the filter pads. I am currenlty draining the pond for a 2nd time in a month!! I don't know what the difference is this year, but I seriously can't keep up with it! I even bought phosphate remover pads to go in my filter (phosphates are usually the problem when all other green water solutions aren't working. But nada... I've put so much sludge remover in this year that I've probably spent as much as I normally would for an entire season!

Decatur, GA

MM I can sympathize about the thick water. I have had it so bad you couldn't see down more than an inch. I have mostly turned here for advise and now use bacteria sludge remover regularly and started my UV lights earlier this spring. Something made the difference and I didn't get a case of pea soup pond water. I feel fortunate.
As I have said my pH seems to be persistently low

Thumbnail by helenchild Thumbnail by helenchild

What beautiful fish you have! Great pictures! I changed my UV lightbulb this morning, cleaned the filter pads, and drained half the water (yesterday) I'm hoping to get ahead of things finally!

Athens, PA

Helenchild

I love your fish. They are so pretty!

Decatur, GA

Thanks for the fish compliments. I haven't bought a fish in years. The two big ones came from PetSmart about ten years ago. The three medium size are their offspring. The Chagoi is my latest and only one I paid any significant money for. I also got the little yellow Gin Rin Ogon (one color with metallic scales) at the same place. If my water quality hadn't been respectable I would never have paid so much for these fish. I felt confident thanks to all the help and advise I have gotten here.
I hope my Chagoi gets big and friendly the way they are reputed to be. He/she already has an excellent appetite.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Heleen, fish are beautiful.

Thank heavens my big fish are now happy and swimming all around. Started them on medicated food yesterday and also put new aerator in pond. Put new UV bulbs on both ponds.
Aerator is for 5,000 gals and I only have 3 so have plenty of bubbles. I figured larger would be better.

Water is clear to the bottom. Tested out great so maybe they will stay healthy for a good while I hope.

Like Merry Mary I have been cleaning filter pads all the time as sludge this year is horrendous.

Smaller pond is clear and no sludge. Can't understand it cause they are only 6 feet apart.

AquaDoc I called and talked with said atmospheric conditions this year were crazy and causing problems for many ponds.

Hope your Chagoi grows large and is very friendly. They are noted for it.

Worked like crazy to get my water quality back....done! Unfortunately, the day after it was crystal clear and all tests rated well, every single fish decided to spawn again! What a mess!
I saved some eggs, in 6 different tubbies with air hoses, and then scooped bucket after bucket of eggs out of my pond. Not water and eggs, just eggs! Holy cow!
Already see several hundred fry in the tubbies.....
All I can say is if they all hatch and grow, I have no clue what to do with all of them! We'll see what develops, and then the unknowing Bonnie will be the recipient of many of them, with enough to share with her son, and if I could get them to the rest of you, you'd have more than your fill of koi for a lifetime!
I couldn't get the rest of the eggs, and even the koi are full at this point and aren't eating any more of them, so I'm hoping the pumps suck them up before they pollute the water!
When it rains it pours, lol....sheesh.....

Decatur, GA

I guess if your fish are happy enough to spawn then you can be happy too that the water is in good shape.
I'd say you are doing great. I hope you fish recover quickly from the spawning. I never try to rescue any eggs and hope the fish eat all they can. Although one year 3 actually survived and have been nice additions. The gold fish are all decedents from my original PetSmart buys. The gold fish spawn a lot and keep the water slightly foamy for an extended time. Annoying!
I hope all this wild stuff calms down soon. :-

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.