Blue bitone historic unknown ID

Apple Valley, United States

My friend Jackie gave this one to me last year. It bloomed yesterday 29" very fragrant. This one has a blue beard.

Thumbnail by CAndersen
Concord, NC

Well Atleast a Blue Tipped Horn.. Noids are Hard as Always a Guessing Game till You Grow a Confirmed One Next to It to Verify it's Authentic Identity..And she had no inkling or suggestion as to what she or other HIPS people thought it Could or might be..? also the Scape height can also complicate things as it could be way to short first year, if it was in crowded conditions of neglect for years as a rescue by her before sent to You..and not bloomed in awhile. It could be 29" first year for you and then 35" next year after pampering and proper conditions and better light and attention. Does CHIVALRY by Jesse Wills of Tennessee have a Blue Tipped Horn.? that was the first thing that popped into my mind when i first saw it as it has that deepness to the blue..but i dont grow 'Chivalry' so i dont know if the Horns are Half Tipped Blue and Cannot Tell from the Photos online of it. Just a Guess. Not an Positive or an I.D.

Concord, NC

Mainer's Second Pic of CHIVALRY looks Identical..But to Complicate Things 'PIERRE MENARD' 1948 by Faught Also Looks Almost the Same as Does the Picture of GERTRUDE by Peterson 1907 on here.. but i do not grow those either and dont know if they have blue tipped horns either Gurtrude pic on here looks as if it may. my first bet would be Chivalry. Khedive is exactly 29'' and has same exact color and veining but to old of a form and no blue tipped horn. This plant Screams 1940's.. just my opinion.

Apple Valley, United States

Thanks for looking into this!
These were taken today near sundown in the wind so the falls are bending back some.
The yellow lined the driveway of a friend when she moved in there about 2 years ago. They had been there for many years. Neglected and over crowded. The brown (she said) were in one over crowded pot from her sister. Those have turned into this blue bitone, and Can Can Red so far with many more to bloom yet. That's probably the only colors from that pot. We'll see soon enough.
This picture really shows the blue tipped yellow beard on the blue bitone.
I may never know the name but I will enjoy them. The fragrance is wonderful on the blue.
All of my iris that are blooming for the first year are much shorter than they are supposed to be. I figure next year will be better.

Thumbnail by CAndersen Thumbnail by CAndersen
Concord, NC

the Blue part is the 'horn' which is the 'extension' of the yellow beard. And if Your Paying for HIPS they should be able to ID the plants there members are sharing among themselves..Infact the whole time we were members i dont think i have ever seen there id guru phil or anyone else there in the time of our paid membership correctly id anything..he tried to tell people a picture of Rosemohr that had been verified was a picture of Mullberry Rose by Schreiner..and three years later still no Rosemohr on there sites images..so i can see why You need to turn to alternate websites and organizations to seek out help. Your Second image appears much lighter and is less prominent blue not more like you state on the tip of the beard 'horn' as well as the entire bi-tone bloom appears lighter itself as well..lets keep it to facts.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.