Just a Few Early birds from my gardens this Spring

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Clematis Empress Clematis Starburst Clematis Sunset Clematis Claire de Lune Clematis Dr. Rupple

Thumbnail by JeanneTX Thumbnail by JeanneTX Thumbnail by JeanneTX Thumbnail by JeanneTX Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Natick, MA

Wow, Jeanne..those are just GORGEOUS! Thanks for sharing!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Jeanne! Somebody pinch me, it's OUR Jeanne from Tx.! Where on earth have you been? The Queen of Clematis! Welcome back Jeanne, and the clematis as beautiful as I remember them.
Kim from Al.

Athens, PA

Welcome back Jeanne. You have been missed.

Carolyn

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Here are a few of mine. The first two look so much like Nelly Moser, but I couldn't tell for I can't keep up with their names. (lost tags). Most others are still in buds in our climate.

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks yall life has been hectic and frantic...glad to see yall are still here..those clems are purty Lily Hi Carolyn and Lily missed yall too...will try to get over here time to time..miss yalls pics

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I know! Long time. Always been envious of your clematis.

Athens, PA

So good to hear from you Jeanne. I am glad you are back.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Goodness, rj, I haven't seen your post either for so long. We need to have a reunion. Jeanne and rj, welcome back friends. I remember Jeanne as Queen of Clematis, rj as king of tropical. Anything change? You're my fav. of DG friends.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh wow! It has been a long time! We do need a reunion!
Everything has changed, every house front, back, right left has sold, along with it every tree chopped down, all! Apparently the neighborhood is the "in" place to live, and they are paying obscene prices for the lots. Two New house construction behind me, and the one on the right was just leveled a couple weeks ago. There is quite a bit of sun! Not sure how the garden will fare, but so far its freaking out because of it. It looks more like a June garden, than April.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

rj, lots of changes -- as far as gardening speaking. Sounds as if you're benefiting from getting more sunlight for the garden. Where as my changes down here was the reverse. Ughhh! Lot more shade, and no one moved in/out in the near vicinity. Just big trees that changes our landscape. I think I Iost some prized plants in the garden. Others, hubby decided, to take down because they were high maintenance ornamentals (especially roses), and we're getting older, can't quite keep up with 'em.

Jeanne, life could be hectic at times -- gardening hobby eased lots of my stressors that life sometimes brings. Hope you'll find time to share more pics. It's a pleasure watching photos from your garden.

Carolyn, have you got some buds showing yet up there?

Here comes 'Empress' in my semi-shade front yard.

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Talking about Roses being high maintenance, I think I am going to rid myself of them also. I might pot them up and give them away.
I think I just about killed a few Clems this year. I got carried away in early March and trimmed some back. Then we got that freeze. Not much growth showing up. I have hopes that the root system is good and they come back from them.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Marie, hi. It's was tough for me to give up my climbing roses. Though, beautiful they invade our roof, and create pathway for sugar ants to come into the house, is one. Other reason, hubby gotta trim them back away from the roof, and he dislike 'em thorns. The weather could take a toll on our clems. I too lost some, but mine problems is too much shade and not winter kills.

I still have a lot more clem. buds to open up soon with what I've got left.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I know about trees growing and making to much shade. The ten years I have been here the trees have gotten taller and taller. Even though we have spent a small fortune taking some down in the back yard and trimming. I am sandwiched between 2 woods. So full sun is very limited.
For me the roses are pretty, but more work also. I removed many last year, and have only a few out front, that only get full late afternoon sun.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes, the Goldilocks garden can be elusive. There was a time I had to remove a tree or two because of the incredible canopy. Weird that it's the opposite now. Oh well, we gardeners are not daunted easily! I may have not had my tree trimmed so hard had I known they were coming back for those last few!
Before and after

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Athens, PA

Kim

Leaf buds are just starting to show on my clems. We are so late this year. Today was the first nice day we have had in the 60's since some of those nice days last October.

I too have climbing roses and I have several ordered as well. My stepson built a pergola for us on the upper deck. Climbing roses and clematis are what I will have covering the new pergola.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The Roses and Clematis combo are going to be great Carolyn. Sun vs shade, I'm shifting my gear to learn more about shade gardening. In the shade, today, I've Niobe clem. first bloom. Right now, it appears we've more sun, but the tall trees' leaves will gradually form a canopy above.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Athens, PA

Kim

I planted some of my clematis in partial shade because some of them seem more apt to fade if they had too much sun. You can see some of mine planted with the hostas and a bit of fencing.

Perhaps you could move some of the sun loving clematis to a sunnier location and put some of the varieties that are prone to fading into the areas that the shade is encroaching upon?

Thumbnail by Carolyn22 Thumbnail by Carolyn22 Thumbnail by Carolyn22 Thumbnail by Carolyn22 Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

What a wonderful reunion and such pretty clematis..I have missed all of you..life has been hectic..and facebook is trying to take over ..LOL..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.