Bleach Dip

Lyndon, IL(Zone 5a)

I'm having a problem with "Botrytis Rot" this year (it actually started last season), and ,since it's a fungal disease, and not bacterial, like the "soft rot", it's seems a bit harder to control. I contacted my county extension office, to ask for any advice they might have, but, as we are in "corn & beans" country, they could not offer much, but....the agent did put me in touch with a "cohort' of his from downstate, who gave me a little advice. He recommended a different fungicide from the ones I had been using, and also suggested that, instead of just the "bleach water dip" we all do, when sending, receiving, or transplanting a rhizome, we ALSO give them a 1 minute soak in a fungicide mixture ( he recommended a "broad spectrum" fungicide, mixed to the directions for spraying, soaking totally submerged 9leaves and all) for one minute), as household bleach, in a 10%-25% mix, is VERY effective for bacteria....it's NOT very good for fungi ! I just thought I would pass this along, as ,from the comments on some of the other forums, there is a lot of "fungal Rot" happening this year, from various parts of the country.....mostly botrytis, but some "crown rot', as well. It also sounds like the old, "stinky' bacterial soft rot is taking advantage of the "damaged' rhizomes, and attacking them , giving 'double trouble".

Concord, NC

I had discussed with Mr. Murphy at Woodhenge gardens about my using bleach dip of 1 cup bleach in 10 cup water on iris and daylilies before rinsing and planting and how it's not always affective especially if the crown rot is bad enough and he said it's because often it is fungal crown rot carried by fungal spores and not bacterial ones which the clorox can not eradiacte as well, so he soaks his in propaconazol over night in a gallon bucket. i said wow over night?!? that seems like a long time as when i use the 10% bleach i soak for no more than 15 minutes to half hour tops maybe with a spoonful of dawn so it sticks to crevices of the plants before i rinse off. he said yes overnight and the plants look white as if soaked in peroxide for awhile, but it has completely eradicated any fungal diseases in his 2 acres of gardens. Call Jim and Margo at Woodhenge Gardens in VA and Ask them what percentage and brand of it that they use. propaconazole is a pretty mild fungacide, just one step stronger then daconil, thats why they are both sold retail. i would not be afraid to use it just always with gloves as opposed to something not retail and toxic that i would never use like Copper sulfide and Mancazeb that can stay in animal cells and water table and harm birds the ecosystem and wildlife.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.