Panicum vargatum 'Cheyenne Sky'

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I'm looking at this grass to put on a slope as a border (more or less in the back). I read it can be used for erosion control.
The Panicum varigatum is a native which impresses me.
It's a Proven Winner and P. Allen Smith recommends it which is where I first learned about it.
Has anyone grown this plant? Please tell me your experiences.
Aggressive?
Does it die out in the center?
Do you like the color/s? The descriptions sound pretty nice.
How fast does it fill out and spread?
My location will give this plant some shade during the day. Do you think this plant will tolerate some shade? e.g. I don't want it to flop.
Any information is appreciated.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

This is interesting. I have ordered Cloud Nine to be used as a big block for an unpleasant view that's tall (3 of them, and at maturity they are about 8 feet tall) and 1 Heavy Metal to hide debris from my neighbor's yard. Height was important, Cloud Nine is the tallest panicum.

It's amazing how many of the same types of plants we are examining.

I am putting all of mine in full sun, three along a driveway (blocking an ugly veggie plot my neighbor put in my primary view) and one in a bed (to hide the debris he dumps under a tree next to my property). It's cheaper than a hit man.

Obviously I have no experience with it, but I have seen mass plantings of it that hold up beautifully year after year and don't seem to flop or die out. But this is anecdotal, and all of these plantings are in full sun.

I will be very interested in the responses you get.

I also note that you are very sensibly getting input from people on this forum rather than jumping in head first (unlike me!)

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Donna, don't give up on the hit man. Maybe you'll landscape his/her yard.

Thank you both for looking at plants that I am also thinking about.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh! Good thought! Two birds with one stone. Eliminate the neighbor, make money!

Birder is always looking at plants I am thinking about. There are a couple of people out there like that. It's really cool!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Yes, quite interesting! I'm new to grasses but have taken a big interest in them. I think they certainly serve a purpose in the landscape. And as an added bonus they help with landscape problems. And yes, they are cheaper than a hit man! :)

Since we're both interested in Ornamental Grasses, here's some information you may be interested in:
http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/gardens-gardening/your-garden/help-for-the-home-gardener/advice-tips-resources/visual-guides/best-ornamental-grasses.aspx

http://shop.monrovia.com/grasses.html?water_icons=96
Monrovia will ship your plant to a garden center near you with no shipping cost.

I actually have three places I would like to put some O. Grass. All are needed to help with erosion control. I am looking at Miscanthus and Panicum. The Panicum is native, but the miscanthus seems to be pretty showy.

Thanks, Donna, for responding and giving me your opinion. I do appreciate it.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

How wonderful. Thank you for sending me the Missouri link on grasses.. I had never seen it. And I had NO IDEA that Monrovia would ship to a garden center. I thought that you had to just run around trying to find things that are only available there.

Looking at it helps me to remember to diversify my grasses. I have owned several of the miscanthus the site suggests. In my new yard I have installled Graziela, Morning Light, Huron Sunrise, Strictus and Floridulous. Panicum is new to me. Pennisetum 'Hameln' is terrific. I installed it in a client's garden and it was such a smash I purchased some for myself - I had been looking for alopecuroides, which is the biggest and which I had a bunch of at home. It is apparently too big for a lot of people so it has gotten hard to find.

Frankly, miscanthus is much showier. Morning Light is spectacular! It is the last grass to bloom, in October. The first picture shows 5. I re installed 3 in my new home.

Sarabande is very much like Gracillimus, which blooms in September for me. This was the idea of my landscape designer. She put in 8! 2nd pic.

And Strictus! 3rd pic. To the left. Note that they don't recommend Silberfeder, to the right - it invariably flops. Not my designer's fault - mine. (Although Strictus and ML were my ideas!)

These grasses all bloom at different times. Strictus in July, Gracilimus in September, and ML in October. It was so cool that Missouri noted that. This way, you have a choice of BOOM all at once or a staggering of effect. As I am sure you can see, I like the stagger.

I am putting in 3 of the tallest panicum, Cloud Nine, and one Heavy Metal, and but I have already put in about 15 miscanthus and have more coming. The flowers of miscanthus are much more spectacular. The next one I want to put in again is prairie dropseed. Another native, and very elegant grass.

I'm trying to diversify, so when I saw the eragrostis I decided to go for it. I was growing an annual eragrostis, and had not realized that it could be hardy here.

Thank you so much for sharing this with me. I love when you post. You are always searching for more beauty in a measured and intelligent way. I'm so impulsive. You are an excellent influence on me.

I can't wait to see what other plants that we are considering in common!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.