I bought the book

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

I bought the book and get the emails. Now I just need to get the bales. That, I am finding, is no easy matter unless you want to break the bank. I plan to place the bales on already raised beds and hope to not have to weed so much. This whole idea looks great.

(Zone 8b)

Welcome beebonnet to straw bale gardening. This is my first year trying it as well. I bought the book before finding this site. Wish I would have found this site first then no need to buy book.

Got 7 of my 10 bales planted today. Maters, pole beans, zucchini, cukes, & some peppers all in the bales. Get the last 3 bales planted tomorrow. Weather has been absolutely beautiful here I. Texas.

Best of luck w/ your straw bale gardening.

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

Thank you, TX Chris. Wishing you a fabulous straw bale garden this year. We don't start gardening around here until later in the spring. I plant out my tomatoes around May 15. So, still have time to get those bales going. If I can find the bales, that is.

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

Hi Strawbalers....I now have 10 bales installed, fertilized and watered. Tomorrow it is supposed to rain, so that will help too. These can percolate along until mid to late May. Do you think that will be long enough?

(Zone 8b)

Beebonnet congrats on finding your straw bales & starting the cooking process. I would say they should be primed & ready come mid May to plant. Share some pictures of your set up. Look forward to reading about your success.

My plants have been in the bales eight days & seem to be doing great. Everything is growing & even have two tiny tomatoes on one of my big beef tomato plants. Also, have an inch long pepper growing on one of my dragon cayenne pepper plants. My pole beans & zucchini have all sprouted as well. Exciting to see.

Keep us updated on your progress. I figured there would be more people visiting & posting in this forum this time of the year. Maybe they are all too busy working in their gardens.

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

Okay....here are a couple of photos of my setup. I was after height and I got it. I should be easy to pick beans now. I hope this works. My husband is very dubious. I am too, but don't tell him that. LOL

Thumbnail by beebonnet Thumbnail by beebonnet Thumbnail by beebonnet Thumbnail by beebonnet
(Zone 8b)

Beebonnet your setup looks great. You found some nice looking straw bales.

Chris

Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Welcome Beebonnet and Chris. I think you will be very happy with this method. I envy Chris being able to plant so soon. I am still trying to get more bales. My usual supplier is sold out already! I usually place the bales in the fall and let them perk all winter. By spring they are very easy to work with. But this year I was away and didn't have time in the fall.
Beebonnet, your bales should be perfect by the middle of May for planting. Good luck to you both. Looking forward to your progress reports!

This message was edited Apr 17, 2015 12:13 AM

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

Thank you, gardadore. Good to know from an experienced strawbale gardener that my bales look okay and that my timing is okay too. Still having trouble wrapping my head around this method, but willing to try it out.

(Zone 8b)

Thank you Gardadore for the nice welcome. We have had thunderstorms & hail this week & my plants withstood it. They are thriving & growing nicely. Will update w/ some pictures later today. Green thumbs!!

Chris

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

I have planted some of my strawbales to squash. I am doing an experiment. I started 10 squash plants in my greenhouse in a rich compost and seed starting mix in my homemade large paper pots. After they began their 3rd set of leaves, I transplanted 1 of each variety in the strawbales and the exact same plants in soil. Planted them 1 week ago and left on a 5 day vacation. Had my favorite young man water them and feed the chickens while we were gone. I am amazed. After 5 days away the strawbale squash are noticeably larger than the plants in the soil. And, greener, too.
In other words there are 2 plants of each variety. 5 in strawbales and the same 5 in soil. I will post photos later. The reason for the paper pots is that I did not have to remove them from a pot...just planted paper pot and all to the strawbales and in the soil. So, it will be fun to see the results. I have entered the Squash Wars contest on DG and will post there as well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.