Dracs are Back!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

We moved from Hagerstown to Delaware last October. I had extensive gardens in Hagerstown and did my best to bring so e plants with me. One in particular is the Dracunculus vulgaris that I started thanks to a friend from Greece who I met way back when DG first began. The dracs bulbs from him not only grew but quadrupled in my garden. Over the years I have sent seed all over the world thru DG and many years ago when we hosted a Roundup at our cabin In Western MD, I even dug a few and took to swap. But, none of them ever survived.
I dug two and brought with me to Delmarva and just stuck I the sandy soil with a few other transplants before winter began. So imagine how stunned I was to see two of them pop up in this sandy soil the other day! Hooray, the Dracs are back.

Thumbnail by haighr Thumbnail by haighr
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Yay! they're like living history for you, aren't they? I do enjoy all the plants that remind me of people I've shared them with.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Living history for sure.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Glad your beloved plants have returned :)

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Those are really unusual-looking plants; post a pic when they're bigger! I'm glad they like their new home.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

They are quite unusual. Here is how the look when mature. Some get a 36" spathe in the center of the beautiful maroon leaf.
And a huge seed head.

Thumbnail by haighr Thumbnail by haighr Thumbnail by haighr Thumbnail by haighr Thumbnail by haighr
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh I just love them, How great to see them growing outside. Interesting how both your bloom and leaves are showing at the same time.
I have what I believe is Voodoo Lily Amorphophallus konjac growing in a pot in the house. It blooms in Feb/March and then sends up leaves later. It has been suggested that mine might be hardy in my Zone but I haven't been willing to try it yet.
Somehow I have lost the pic I took of it in full bloom.

Here is a link to the best pic
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=10035814

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Cool beans, dear. Glad that they rewarded you by growing in their New home.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I had one of the Voodoo lilies given to me by a friend here at DG bi I managed to water it to death.

They are doing well do far. I hadn't really planned on where to have a garden but they have decided for me as I don't dare move them again!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Hehehe, isn't that the way?!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.