How to divide crinum

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I have a gorgeous Hannibal dwarf crinum that can use dividing. I tried with a spade and I broke the spade. All I pulled was pieces with no roots. What is proper way? Did I plant it too deep and that's why it's being hard to divide? It is impossible and we've had rains so ground is nice and workable. Still, could not divide to save my life.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi gardening friend, crinums like most bulbs are easy to dig up and care for. I learned that when I try to dig up bulbs, I do better with a folk but not a spade. If you lose the roots, not to worry about that. They will grow back. Just let them air dry in a shade area. Once the bottom forms callus, you can then replant them. Good luck and enjoy.
Kim

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I meant to say fork and did not find it easy at all. Like the bulb dug itself down to China. will try as you say to let div callous then try to root. I thought w/o roots they were goners. Thanks Kim

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

You're quite welcome.

I dig a hole away from the plant exposing the root system. Using a combination of tugging and pulling try to separate babies from mother plant. It will break at junction with roots still attached. Trim roots to fit new home.

I have read somewhere, some crinums will head for China no matter how shallow you plant.

I guess if your plant has many babies, you might dig up whole plant. This would be easier to separate but mother plant might not bloom for a while

Larry.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.