Are my straw bales ready to be planted??

(Zone 8b)

This is my first year to do straw bale gardening, & I am so glad I found this wonderful place on the web. Today is day 12 of my bale conditioning, & I have followed the 12 day conditioning process according to Karsten's book. My bales never seemed to heat up much that I could tell, but they do have oat spouts growing out of them. I would like to start planting in them in the next few days but concerned that they did not heat up much at all. Are they safe to plant in now? Should I do anything else before planting in them? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW my name is Chris, & I live in Texas in zone 8b. Look forward to learning a lot from this forum. I included a couple of pictures of my straw bales.

Thumbnail by TX_Chris Thumbnail by TX_Chris
(Zone 8b)

I think I found the answer searching through all the posts on this forum. Kent said in another post when sprouts are popping up in your straw bales they are good to go. I have that happening so fingers crossed I am jumping all in w/ planting the next 2-3 days. If my plants do good I am going to get some more bales & start prepping w/ water & time on them so they are ready for a fall garden.

Loving spring time in Tx,

Chris

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.