Anyone interested in topics on fermentation, sprouting, etc?

Chuckey, TN(Zone 6b)

Here is a copy of my letter to admin and the response:

I am very interested in learning about fermentation, sprouting, sourdough, cheesemaking, etc in regards to food preparation but have no experience with it. Would love to see a community on Dave's Garden dedicated to it. I know some of the members on the recipe sites mention it occasionally so know others are interested also. Any hope of getting a forum for fermentation?

Mon, March 30, 2015
12:54 PM
Hi Redbird,

Thank you for the suggestion! Historically, most new forums began as a "grass roots" effort. Why not start some threads in the Cooking forum and let's see where they go? If enough interest is generated, we'll look in to creating the new forum, but we want to make sure that if we build it, they will come. Nothing is more disheartening than to open up a forum and see that the activity level is low to non-existent.

So, the particular topic that prompted this inquiry was the fact that last year I made fermented dill pickles and they turned out wonderfully. Wonderful flavor and nice and crisp. I had a 3 gallon crock of them and when they were at their peak I wanted to preserve them at that point and take some of them to family members at Christmas. The only think I knew to do with them was to store them in the refrigerator but I don't have that much available space for a long period of time so I proceeded to can them. NOT! Flavor was still good but they went from being nice and crisp to limp and wimpy. The family lives 2000 miles away and it is a 3 day drive. Didn't know what else to do with them to store them long terms as I wasn't sure they would have room in the fridge for them either. Anyone have a solution to this? And is anyone else interested in fermentation: sourdough, cheese making, wine making, sprouting, etc?

This thread has 7 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!