Growing coneflower seeds question

Morgantown, WV

my first time of growing coneflower seeds. I am growing pow pow wild berry, and magnus out of 24 I have at least 17 coming up. I have kept them in a cold dark closet. I still have a few that are barely coming up and others that are way up. How much longer should I keep them in the dark. They have been there probably 2 weeks now. After I bring them out of the cold closet should I put them under lights right away? How fast do they grow after they get under the lights. Thanks for anyone who knows more than me.

Athens, PA

I have grown coneflower seeds under lights and also wintersowed them.

Why do you have your's in the dark? I would start slowly submitting them to some type of light. They will need light to grow.

Morgantown, WV

Package the seeds came in said to put them in a dark cool place. It worked I have many seeds that came up. I do think it is about time to bring them out. I still see a few coming up. I guess better pull them out and give the baby seedlings light.

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

Some seeds need the dark to germinate and refuse to germinate while they are in the light. When a seed packet says to put the seeds in a dark place, they mean to make sure that the seed is in the dark before it sprouts. A dark closet is great, a sheet of cardboard over the seeds is great, or planting the seeds deep enough that the light does not reach is great. Once the seeds germinate, they need light as soon as possible. They use up their energy sprouting and they need to get sunlight to start the growing process. Once you see that most of the seeds have sprouted you can give them some light. Yours are at this stage and ready for light. As Carolyn22 said, don't start with full sun. You might give them the light equivalent of an east windowsill for 5-7 days, then increase to the light of a southern window. (Others might have better suggestions on a timeline for increasing the sunlight.) The idea is to get them used to more sun gradually, but as fast as you can without hurting them. Once acclimated, they will want full sun.
I hope this helps. Coneflowers are beautiful!

Morgantown, WV

I felt tey had been in the dark longer enough some I put themselves under lights. It has been a day so far they look ok. Maybe I put them under lightship too soon. We will see

Morgantown, WV

I just wanted to tell anyone interested that tonight I checked my seeds and I have 24 seedlings which fills my 24 slots. I actually have one extra that I will have to watch and maybe move. But I am thrilled. Way more than I expected. Putting them in a cool dark place for a few weeks worked for me. Hope they grow quickly now.

Natick, MA

dottie,
that is super! What variety of coneflower did you plant?

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

That's wonderful. You are going to have a coneflower extravaganza!

Morgantown, WV

Valal look up at first paragraph I have written what I planted. Today I checked again and I saw more so I replanted 17 more! Oh my goodness I don't think I will see anymore. I knew I'd thrown some extra seeds in but wow! My hillsides will be covered with them. It would be awesome if they survive and come back each year. I will try to post pictures at some point.

Natick, MA

Dottie,
So sorry, I just rushed over that part, I guess! Or didnt go back and read it once I had intially!??
How LOVELY to have so many. I'd love to see your photos when you get them planted - and in bloom-??

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.