Is it normal for blooms to fall?

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I know my amaryllises do this when they are past their prime. Wondering if the same with irises. Edited to add, that should have been bloom stalks.

This message was edited Mar 29, 2015 1:41 PM

Thumbnail by vossner Thumbnail by vossner
Lyndon, IL(Zone 5a)

I wouldn't say "normal", but I would say "not that unusual". Some cultivars are more prone to it than others, but those with tall, thin stems (and several, or larger, flowers) are apt to 'lean over', or actually fall....especially if it rains....and makes the flowers heavier. I keep a supply of those small, bamboo,garden stakes, and if I see one looking sort of "tipsy", I stake it. You can see in your photo that one unopened bud is trying to "straighten " itself !

we did hv recent rains. I keep stakes for hippies, will see if they can be used for my irises. thanks for your help.

Concord, NC

I Agree with Arlyn..looks like to much rain and so it grew to tall and spindly..also make sure it is not heaving itself out of the ground, they dont like to be planted too deep and they like to knuckle up near the surface..But not so close to surface that they have no support and soil erodes off it and it pops out from heavy weight and no support..You may need to pack some dirt or potting soil around the base of it a good inch.. for better support for next year as once they become spindly stalks or unstable from heaving out of the ground its to late this year for that particular stalk as it cant fix itself as it grew that way..Your gonna have to prop it up with a garden stake or tag or rock of some sort or cut if off and enjoy it in a vase of water. old pink heirloom ones are so lovely like that to enjoy on a back porch or little table and many are sweet and fragrant.

This message was edited Mar 29, 2015 8:30 PM

Themikesmom, I checked and no heaving but I cut the fallen blooms to enjoy indoors.! I was delighted to learn my noid is fragrant, kinda lemony-clean. Very lovely.

Thumbnail by vossner
Concord, NC

:-) Awesome..they Look Amazing like that, and Main thing is they are being Loved and Enjoyed (-:

Sugarland, TX(Zone 9a)

Did not know irises can be cut flower this beautiful.!!

Lasted about two days or so, loved having them in the kitchen. Can't wait for my order of blue ones from yodad50

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.