Nootka Cypress?

East Bridgewater, MA

Is this street tree a Nootka Cypress?

Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman Thumbnail by neefman
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I would say yes - but I'm not going to hazard a guess at what the current accepted binomial nomenclature is.

Used to be Chamaecyparis nootkatensis, but has been through a couple of re-assignments.

As an aside: does this post mean you have emerged from hibernation? Those photos must be from a vacation spot, since we know eastern Mass is still tundra...

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

This snow ought to be very good for many of these so-called Alaskan Yellow Cedar trees, you think? Among all the baby conifers in pots at my house, their plumage above the snow seems to be particularly unfazed. The starts I purchased are mostly labeled as Xanthocyparis but the occasional nursery still keeps the Chamacyparis label, possibly because it sells more trees(?) I know that one of them, Aldrich Mountain, seems to be in dispute as to the correct nomenclature, including a question of whether it is something else entirely. I bought it thinking it would never get enough ground protection in zone 6. Who knew?

East Bridgewater, MA

Quote from ViburnumValley :

As an aside: does this post mean you have emerged from hibernation? Those photos must be from a vacation spot, since we know eastern Mass is still tundra...

You will hopefully be seeing me more now, but I'm currently re-obsessed with birds again more than trees. Once the leaves show it will be time for another wave of tree postings.

And no, this tree is just a mile away from me. It looks very happy in the snow, doesn't it?

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Yep, Nootka Cypress; now Cupressus nootkatensis

Resin

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Hoped Resin would provide the backup documentation...

I think I understand that the taxonomists lump/split based on reproductive features (mostly), but this is a tree that just doesn't look very much like other Cupressus species that I've seen.

Maybe I just need to get out more...

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Several Asian Cupressus with similar foliage ;-)

The flat sprays is just an adaptation to more humid climates; cypresses with quadrangular branching occur in dry climates.

Resin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.