I am so glad they planted this tree

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

I was stalking my new cat for a photo op, and got one on the second story windowsill. Then I had to take this picture out the window! Some years the elderly lilac in front of it blooms when the Magnolia does, but not this year. That house is maybe 25 years old, the people who built it loved to garden so there are a lot of neat plants. Every year the tree gets better.

Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Saucer Magnolia is a mainstay in the south as well and like you said gets better each year unless a hard freeze hits which can kill many young limbs. Here was ours a week ago from our deck. I think it may be about 9 or 10 years old from a four foot plant.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Ooooh, yours is lovely. So amazing from a sapling in just a decade. How big will they get? I don't see many around here, and those I see are smaller than this one.
The neighbors front yard also has 2 evergreen magnolias, which look perfectly healthy, but each produces only a couple of blooms a year. They grow very slowly.

They can get quite large but I have no idea on the oldest or biggest specimens. They pale in comparison to the Southern Magnolia (M. grandiflora where they can dwarf a house with spread and height).

Here is a good sized one from last year on our way to the main road. Ignore the confederate flag as some folks don't have good sense.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Is the new feline named Silhouette?

Can you get closer/closeup images of the flowers on that magnolia? There are lots of them that are planted in the western Washington area, and certainly more selections than Saucer Magnolia.

Good looking plant there, and that GA specimen is a moose.

Well, they are not real closeup photos, but I used a telephoto to get the best shots I could. It does not overhang my property at all.

Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil

Yes. That's definitely NOT Saucer Magnolia (Magnolia x soulangeana). That species has more cup-like flower shape and creamy white/pink mix to the flower color.

That plant seems to have some Magnolia liliiflora blood in it, but more inspection would be required. I can't believe you don't just stroll over there, gush about what a great plant that is, "may I get some closeup pictures of it?"

Another early blooming magnolia that has that character is Magnolia x loebneri 'Leonard Messel'. The Little Girls series of magnolias hybridized by the US National Arboretum also has several with the purplish/white mixed color and that show that flower form.

I will try the strolling thing next time I see them outside, but I never knock on the door because the wife works rotating shifts. Really nice neighbors so want to stay on good terms.
P.S. I kinda like the name Silhouette for the cat, but can't think how I would turn it into a short nickname. "Silly" she is not. She is sweet and snugly. Also looking for names for her two sisters that are black and white (I can hijack my own thread), the one on the right looks like a bunny. Yesterday I was calling her "Schnozzie" and the other one "Drip".

Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil

Ok, I got permission and plucked a flower. I am not sure what features help in distinguishing Saucer vs other Magnolias so here goes:

Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil

Now for twigs:

Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil
(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Pistil: Thanks for the spring beauty Magnolia x loebneri 'Leonard Messel', great pics. I especially marveled about Schnozzie's powerful facial markings. I hope you enjoy them as much as I've been enjoying my two rescues. I haven't had any rabbit issues yet...knock on wood, lol.

HCM, I've never seen such a massive Magnolia in bloom, what a sight!

Here we are, weeks later, and the magnolia is finally pooping out, but not before I had several days with the lilacs blooming too, they are just getting going. I just took these pics today, it's warm and sunny. I especially like photo #2, as it shows my clematis is also about ready to pop. I did not know that until I looked through the telephoto lens. I am growing it up into those trees, it really adds interest after the trees are done blooming. I doubt the neighbors even know-they can't see the trees, except from underneath!

Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil

Nice echoes on the color range...

Oooh nice, I echo VV's sentiments.

That's what I think too. The couple who built and landscaped the place were a wood guy who worked at Weyerhauser and his wife who was a stained glass artist. They planted some lovely stuff.

One last pic, from last week. Now the show is over.

Thumbnail by Pistil

It was a good run Pistil, thanks for bringing us along.

My saucer magnolia continues to bloom sporadically during summer. I can see a lot of blooms out there this morning. Nothing like the massive first flush in early spring though.

HCM, do you get extended blooms because of the cultivar or because of your zone? Perhaps both, either way...NICE.

Good question. I don't know, just accept it and take it as an extra bonus. It also shows better before the leaves come on.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Lol, I hear ya!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.