I LOST 8 FISH!!!!

Virginia Beach, VA

Hello DG friends,

We had been gone for 47 days on our Asian vacation visiting 5 Islands in the Philippines as well as Cambodia and Vietnam. Right now I had not had time to post any pictures.

I took pictures of the dead fish on my new iphone but I have to learn how to do it picture attachments. The 3 big ones are 19 inches and 5-- 3 inches.

My next door neighbor who took care of the the pond while we were gone updated me often how the fish are doing. They all survived the harsh winter.

My husband Roger added city water yesterday and probably added too much, he panicked when I told him and went out to check right away. He too is very sad!!

Can someone tell me how to upload pictures from cell to DG?

Belle

Athens, PA

Belle

So sorry for your loss.

If you go onto DG on your phone, you can load from the phone to DG.

Carolyn

Virginia Beach, VA

I do not have daves garden yet

I am going to a retreat so I will do it this weekend.

thanks

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Bell,
So sorry you have fish loss also. Seems to be going around again.

Virginia Beach, VA

Bonnie,
Just arrived from a 47 days vacation and even with harsh weather while we were gone the kois survived until we got home. the lady who took care of them was sad of the demise.

Belle

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

I email pics to myself and upload them from my own email account. I'm so sorry about your loss!

Virginia Beach, VA

I have to try that

Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-lb-Sodium-Thiosulfate-Pentahydrate-Na2SO3-5H2O/281272801964?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D29385%26meid%3Dc732b792224149f3a9beb45fb3341887%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D281149970187&rt=nc

I learned several years ago, that this was a MUST in my ponding box! It's inexpensive and kills chlorine in my pond. Every time I top off my pond, I throw a tablespoon in ! I'm the absolute worst at being irresponsible about letting my old brain forget that I've turned the hose on, so I now have a 2 point plan. 1) I set the alarm on my phone if I'm going to put the hose in the pond BEFORE I turn the hose on! 2) I throw in the sodium thiosulphate to make sure the chlorine is being eaten as the pond fills.

Decatur, GA

I have always used a dechlorinator when adding water to my pond. (And my little fish tank when I was a kid.) I have used a brand called Vanish which has worked fine but since the price is so good I will try what you use MerryMary.
It was probably the chlorine in the water that killed your fish bellieg. Chlorine damages their delicate gills. Too bad. I'm sorry about your loss.
One time I went out to discover my fish in only enough water to keep from flopping on their sides. It was a pump malfunction and the water went all over my yard instead of back through the filter and into the pond. Anyway I obviously had no choice but to add new water and was very glad to have the dechlorintor on hand. I filled the pond half way up the first day, the finished filling it the next. Luckily none of the fish seemed any worse for wear.

Virginia Beach, VA

this is the 2nd time it happened to us. The first time was more fish.

I will certainly buy your suggestions.

Thanks .. Belle

Decatur, GA

MerryMary, I got some of the product you mentioned about. It didn't come with any directions. I am wondering approximately how much to add per # of gallons to be treated. When you say you add a tablespoon when you top off you pond, well my question is how many gallons does it take to top off your pond. :-) And are you guestimating or do you know the details? Thanks a million.
Helen

Although it's recommended that you dissolve it in water first, I usually just throw in a tablespoon per 1,000 gallons by the water outflow.

But here's the real way to use it....

Uses for Sodium Thiosulphate:

Dechlorinating Water (aquariums, koi ponds, etc..)
Make a concentrate by adding just 4 Oz of the Sodium Thiosulfate to 1 gallon of water.
Then just use 1 - 2 drops of your concentrate per gallon of water to be dechlorinated. * Always test water using a chlorine test kit to verify your chlorine activity after dechlorinating.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Belle,
To upload picture from phone, click the box you see just outside this dialogue box "choose a file". It then takes you to your phones photo albums, where you can click up to 5 pics at a time. It will place a check mark on the photos you selected, then at the top right of screen select "done". At this time, wait for the DG site to upload the photos which is indicated by an upload percent (it will be obvious when you see it upload). At this point, you can preview before send, or just send by clicking the buttons on bottom left outside the dialogue box. Easy breezy, you'll love it. Rj

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Decatur, GA

I checked and found out one teaspoon is approx. 300 drops. So your dose of a tablespoon of the solution of Sodium Thiosulfate (900 drops) for 1000 gallons of water is about right! It might be slightly under dosing but I'm impressed. It seems such a tiny amount to add to the pond but I guess its enough. I will make up a gallon of solution and keep it handy, along with directions, for my next pond top off.
Thanks very much again. You saved me some money.
Helen

Virginia Beach, VA

Rj/
I have to download the pictures on my PC right?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

No, right from your iPhone. On your next reply, click that little box - choose a file. It will take you to your iPhone photos, just scroll to the photo you want and click.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

When you have selected your photo, click done on the top right as shown in the photo I am sending. Notice the photo I selected has a check mark, then click done at top right.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

If you have already downloaded Picts to computer, you can practice by taking a picture of your pond or anything and follow the steps. You'll like it!. Wifi does help it along, but shouldn't be necessary, it's just slower.

This message was edited Apr 10, 2015 3:31 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.