My spring bulb garden - the beginning

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

This is the smallest of my gardens; it is between my apartment (on the right) and my neighbor's.

The center is mid-season daffodils (they came early), surrounded on 3 sides with grape muscari (front and both sides; just starting to come up) . . . serving as foreground to 5 ornamental onions in back along the fence (plant versions of lollipops topped with deep purple soccer ball-sized spheres).

At least, that's the design: the weather is NOT cooperating!!!

Thumbnail by BetNC Thumbnail by BetNC Thumbnail by BetNC Thumbnail by BetNC
Natick, MA

Bet,

Those are GORGEOUS! I would kill for a display of spring flowers like that! Snowed again here ...not much accumulation, BUT gee! There's still a foot or so on the ground. This just brightens my day!!

Now, Question: What will you plant when the daffodils are done? Is there were your zinnias are planned to go?

yes, this is where I plan to have Magellan Yellow zinnias here. In early to mid-June (after the muscari and onions are done for the year) I'll cut the foliage down to the ground and plant my zinnia seedlings - which are planned to start the first of May - after all my marigold seedlings go OUT!!! LOL

Natick, MA

Bet, you're not going to cut back to the bulb foliage til after it's died back naturally, right? (Otherwise you wont get any blooms next year)

absolutally right! The daffodil foliage will turn yellow & wither about six weeks after the blooms are spent (roughly toward the end of May), the muscari's are SUPPOSED to be cut down first of June (the foliage comes back again in the fall) and I know NOTHING about the allium. . . .but five slender stalks rigtht in front of the fence ain't going to stop mmy zinnia planting!! I thought I'd just leave them alone. . . .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.