2015 in Deep Run, North Carolina

Deep Run, NC(Zone 7b)

Very cold winter here and I sustained much damage to my plants. I have lost maybe 15 or so named hanging baskets and many of my small pots with last falls beginners were lost or badly cold burned. I began fertilization in late Feb. and began a very slight watering regiment. Now I am starting to move plants into the Pagoda outside though It may be several weeks too early yet. New growth is strong.

Winter heating cost me around $1500. this year (natural gas) for the greenhouse and I am seriously thinking about doing away with some of my heated winter space (or plants!). We'll see.

Hello to everyone and pictures will begin soon.

Mountain View, HI

Aloha Bob,

Sorry to hear about your tough winter. I hope things look brighter as the season progresses. Looking forward to your pictures.

Mike

Pawleys Island, SC

Hi Bob, Sorry to hear about your tough winter. Ours was still a little on the mild side, but a few of the weeks were cold. I had some cold damage to some in a cold frame ( that had a tear I didn't know about ), but most survived quite well.
I don't see any thing that I can definitely say is a flower bud, but I do have a lot of new growth.
Hope your weather is getting better.

Pawleys Island, SC

Bob, I know you said you might trim your collection due to space, but if I have any that you lost and want to replace, I will gladly share with you.

Deep Run, NC(Zone 7b)

I have had to trim down most of my plants due to winter damage but most look very healthy after their ordeal. I have moved them all from the greenhouse and into the gazebo and grape arbor for the milder months of the year. This allows me to clean my greenhouses and make needed repairs more easily.

FREE CUTTINGS:

The net result, however, is the creation of many No ID cuttings which need a home. If you would like a box of No ID's, D Mail me your address. I will ask that you send me the cost of postage after receiving your cuttings. Postage amount should be on box as well as my return address. Please remember that these cuttings are a gift and I don't need any complaints about size or condition of what you receive. I will try to get as many as possible in each postal box.

All cuttings are from Hybrids and some will be already rooted. bob

Thumbnail by orchidman1
Deep Run, NC(Zone 7b)

I still have several boxes left after mailing to all who requested a box. Let me know quickly if you would like one for the price of postage(around $6.) bob

Thumbnail by orchidman1 Thumbnail by orchidman1 Thumbnail by orchidman1 Thumbnail by orchidman1 Thumbnail by orchidman1

Bob, If you have any left over I would tak another one. Only if you have no takers.

thanks,

Larry

Mountain View, HI

Nice blooms Bob, looks like your season is off to a good start.

That cream one is amazing

Mike

Deep Run, NC(Zone 7b)

Mike: These pictures are from last year and I used them to illustrate the cuttings. My season is just getting ready to start here and I am seeing the first buds. bob

TO THE PUBLIC: I HAVE NO CUTTINGS LEFT TO GIVE. THE LAST FOUR BOXES WENT OUT THIS MORNING. BOB

This message was edited May 29, 2015 8:29 PM

Deep Run, NC(Zone 7b)

All my epies are running late this year. First buds now on April Showers and on Ackermani.
I have moved all plants outside after my significant damage from cold in March and into the gazebo style shade area (pictured below) and into my grape vine arbors. I was able to send 23 boxes of cuttings to fellow growers all over the US and Canada. This will be a strange year for my plants. Let's see! bob

Thumbnail by orchidman1
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Strange indeed! Mine have been dealing with changing temps all winter,and it has really confused them. We have warm spells for a few days that make them think it's time to bloom, and I get a few blooms. Then the weather reverts to cool, and everything shuts down. I am just now starting to get the normal season flowers, but colors are off, and flowers smaller on the ones that tried too early. Sadly, the weather is still screwy...60s for the last week, supposed to be 85 sun.

Pawleys Island, SC

I thought mine were setting buds, but so far, it all seems to be new growth. Still waiting for blossoms though. They are putting out lots of growth though. It is definitely a strange year. It is still cooler here than normal.

Deep Run, NC(Zone 7b)

We have just had a week of temps from 40 to 60--no higher. My gardens are about three weeks behind. My Epies are slow to bud with small bud formation. Still waiting for early blooms. Interestingly my iris are late blooming but blooms are large and well formed.thus far. There's certainly no sign of climate warming evident.

Thumbnail by orchidman1 Thumbnail by orchidman1 Thumbnail by orchidman1 Thumbnail by orchidman1 Thumbnail by orchidman1
Mountain View, HI

Those are beautiful blooms Bob. We cannot grow them over here.
When I visit folks in England I always look for the Irises in public and private gardens and by the time I have to return I'm just missing the roses.
I'm getting some success with Gladioli.

Deep Run, NC(Zone 7b)

Blooming now- Ackermanii
Great bloomer with excellent growth habit. True original species have blue coloring on stamens. However, most Ackermanii are hybrids which have white stamens. Very easily grown in my area.

This is the first of five buds to open. Last year this plant had eighteen blooms at once! bob

Thumbnail by orchidman1
Mountain View, HI

Nice one Bob. Obviously you have years of experience and knowledge but are there any websites or books that would teach the knowledge of how to describe the blooms and growth habits. I cannot find any educational Epi websites and the ESA still seems to be building their website.

Pawleys Island, SC

Nice bloom! Some of my easter cactus have buds and 1 of my anthorhipsalis monacantha has a bud. It was gorgeous last year. Still waiting for epi blooms.

Deep Run, NC(Zone 7b)

Mike: I like this site for general knowledge about Epies: http://www.epiforums.com/forums.php
It's free and some very good growers contribute. You can pick and choose from articles presented. Tends to be very professional. bob

As I await Epi blooms, I want to show some more of my iris!

Mountain View, HI

Thanks Bob,

Your garden must be amazing with all that color and a pond as well. Love those Irises.

Pawleys Island, SC

Bob, those iris are gorgeous. Mine were pretty, but I am hoping the show is not over.

Mountain View, HI

Hi Bob,

I joined EpiForums some time ago and can only read the postings. When I try to say "hello" it denies me access to everything and trying to send an email through their own "contact us" says "webpage" not found. Looks like good info but frustrating not being able to join in.
Any thoughts

Mike

Deep Run, NC(Zone 7b)

I

This message was edited May 29, 2015 8:27 PM

Deep Run, NC(Zone 7b)

I'm not sure but will check this out. I know the Epi Gallery has disappeared but I don't know why. I'll look. bob

Deep Run, NC(Zone 7b)

April Showers has always bloomed early in April but not this year. Blooms are approx. 3 inches and last for several weeks. Plant will be blooming well over a month. Plant will have around 100 flowers and is 7 years old propagated from cuttings. Blooms are conical in shape.. bob

Read more: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1357465/#ixzz3ZV90SDon

Thumbnail by orchidman1
Pawleys Island, SC

April Showers is gorgeous. The 1 I have had for years has only bloomed in December with the Christmas cacti. It did that like 3 years in a row.
Bob, what size pot do you have yours planted in?

Mountain View, HI

Thanks for checking on the website. I think I will try and sign up again with a brand new name and password and see if they let me in

It's great to see plants hanging out in the open and getting the pic of the whole plant. There must be a lot of weight in that pot. That's a nice one.

Mike.

Deep Run, NC(Zone 7b)

Ibarto: I have found a number of plants with new buds so don't give up yet. Also, we had many blooms last year in May and even June.. Our season here is usually April-early July. Let's just hope!

This message was edited May 11, 2015 8:33 AM

Pawleys Island, SC

Bob, if they haven't set buds yet, is it too late for this year? Mine looked as if they were going to, but then starting putting out a flush of new growth.

Deep Run, NC(Zone 7b)

I use one gallon hanging baskets with wire hangers. I use rebar hung with chains to hold my baskets

Thumbnail by orchidman1 Thumbnail by orchidman1 Thumbnail by orchidman1
Pawleys Island, SC

Thanks Bob, I will wait. It is all I can do though not to re-pot them and then feed them like crazy. I will resist though. At least for a while.
German Empress looks like it might be setting buds as well as ackermanni. I think some of the others are just not rootbound enough.

Mountain View, HI

That's a nice set up Bob, looks like you have at least three levels.

No regrets but if I'd have used hanging pots earlier I would have built my greenhouse roof higher.

Just curious, when you start a new cutting do you start them in small pots and then move them up to the one gallon after a year or so or start them directly in the big pots. I start small and then move up to bigger pots but I'm wondering what the downside is to putting them directly into the 8" hanging pots I use.

Deep Run, NC(Zone 7b)

The downside to me is space. I use small 4" pots to start them and then combine rooted plants later when I have nice plants started. I've also started combining different plant in the same pot since they are only for hobby usage.

Deep Run, NC(Zone 7b)

This message was edited May 29, 2015 8:04 PM

Deep Run, NC(Zone 7b)

This message was edited May 29, 2015 8:25 PM

Mountain View, HI

Thanks Bob, Now you have me thinking - more than one cutting per pot but also different varieties in the same pot would be attractive. I'm sure folks do that already but never thought about it for myself. Yep, mine is just a hobby also but my local farmers market friend wants me to bring a few down to sell.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

My neighbors stick whatever cuttings in one pot, but if you intend to sell any, they really should be seperate and tagged. Of course if you write the name on the plant with a felt tip pen, they can make their own tags, if they want names.

Deep Run, NC(Zone 7b)

A Noid is a Noid is a Noid. These are the one's I put together. When they bloom, sometimes I mark the individual plants if I can ID them.

Deep Run, NC(Zone 7b)

This is closer to a salmon color than to a red. This Easter Cactus is blooming late but is beautiful.

Thumbnail by orchidman1
Deep Run, NC(Zone 7b)

This is Bruin in bloom today. . A young plant of a hybrid raised 1940's. The flowers should be red with some orange tinge in the outer petals but veering rather strongly towards magenta in the middle. Platter formation that is 8 inches across.

Thumbnail by orchidman1
Mountain View, HI

Very nice Bob.

Can you post side by side pics of shapes "Platter" vs " Cup and Saucer" or other shapes. I can't find any site that is educational regarding bloom shapes.

Where do you find the history of named varieties?

I've found some books that I'm thinking of buying, some with old print dates. Want to improve my depth of knowledge. Epi growers just don't have the resources like orchid or rose growers.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.