Fast Growing Shrubs?

(Zone 5a)

I just skimmed the article about elderly lilacs. We have removed many non-native plants from the property, but are yet stuck with this one. I cannot stand the flowers in bloom... ach, that smell! The only reason we haven't gotten rid of it is it does make a nice bird feeder holder and it holds the birds nicely too. :) The article mentioned lilac borers, but we don't have those. If we did, we would just let them have at it. Then replace the plant with something better.

The bush is on the northeast corner of the house. Does anyone know of any fairly fast growing shrub that could take the place of this? I learned of a native shrub and tree nursery not too far from here. I think this is a good time to do some planting.

Thank you very much for any ideas.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I love the scent if lilacs, but if you want a fast-growing shrub native to your area, what about a Sambucus canadensis or a red-dozier dogwood (Cornus stolonifera)?

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Sambucus canadensis is a lovely shrub (I have 3), but you might not get berries if you only have room for one because it needs cross-pollination.

Hamamelis (Witch Hazel) grow very quickly. My Hamamelis virginiana doesn't have noticeable flowers, and they don't any scent, but the bees were happy to see them when it bloomed a few weeks ago. I also have H. vernalis, but they're new so I can't say how quickly they grow.

Myrica pensylvanica (Bayberry) would also be a good choice. I have Bayberry shrubs at the NE corner of my house, and they have grown very quickly. They have a nice shape and are evergreen in my area. There are some damaged leaves at the end of every winter, but they still look pretty full.

The only downside is that they don't produce berries. The garden center didn't indicate their sex, and I've come to the conclusion that they're all males. It sounds like you only have room for one shrub, but if you want berries, you could buy one of each sex and plant them right next to each other. I would try to find out whether there are differences in male and female flowers so you can buy some of each.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Muddy, Hamamelis virginiana blooms in the fall, H. vernalis blooms in the spring (vernal).

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Right you are; I got them mixed up! Thanks for setting the record straight.

This message was edited Mar 29, 2015 8:34 PM

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Shame on all of you for not mentioning the obvious: Viburnums.

Take a look at Classic Viburnum's offerings. They are located in nearby Nebraska, and they grow quite the variety of species and selections. Native and non-, there is a viburnum (or 25) for every garden - even in Iowa.

I'd suggest Viburnum dentatum to start with, and expand from there.

(Zone 5a)

Thank you so much for all your replies. We have plenty of room to work with around the house, as I have some type of non-native shrub along the front porch. I will look at soil and sun requirements and see what fits best. Where the lilac is gets dumped on any time it rains from roof run-off.

Last fall, I learned about male female plants. I could only afford two native Clematis virginiana at that time. I hope I got a male and female, but there's a greater chance I end up with two of the same gender.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.