Spring Roundup 2015

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

It's that time of year again!! We are hosting our Spring RU this year on June 6th at Gordon Moore Park in Alton, Illinois.

Everyone is welcome and the more the merrier!! We do encourage you to post on this thread if you are planning on coming and how many people you plan to bring so we can make sure we have enough food.

If you have never heard of a Roundup, it is basically a deal where fellow Dgers get together to swap plants and stories and make new friends while meeting up with old friends. We always have a blast when we get together.

Here is a link to the park.

http://www.alton-il.com/content.cfm?page=gordonmoore

Save for listing names of people coming.

dyanisme
greenbrain
pepper23
shortleaf-?

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Yeah me likely, maybe around a 70% chance I'll be there. My car is old and that's a bit of a drive but I think it can do it. It is slowly getting worse though. For example, now the driver's door handle only has a little piece of plastic sticking out, I hafta use both hands to open it and if it's raining I can't open it without pliers. Someday I'll get a decent car, keyword being someday..lol
Will

Alton, IL

I mailed the check for the park shelter today. :) Just because plans can change, here's what we're working with.......... Between now and 31 days before the roundup, I can get a 75% refund if we have to cancel. But once we hit 30 days before the roundup, there's no refund to be had.

And I seem to have more plants that are coming back! I'm going to take pictures this weekend to post and share.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Will, I have replaced my car's interior plastic door handles a couple of times. I order them online. I keep spares on hand now.

Hehe.. it's quite the pain for sure then you know, Betty. My driver's door handle is broke inside AND out. The only one that isn't broke in or out is the passenger's door handles, which is okay, because then my guests might not notice all the others are busted! I need to get several items from a junk-yard for that car, like door handles..lol Funny, it doesn't have any rust though.
I should just be thankful that it still runs four years after I bought it! I bought it from a car salesman on craigslist. I coulda easily got burned, he was a dealer posing as an individual.
I did get burned on a couple things but the engine and transmission are okay so far.

It is good to have details like that in the planning, Dyan. Like you said, stuff happens, and that's a pretty good chunk for one person to absorb. Kudos to you for being assertive on the reservation. I too, like to be liberal with the facts and details, because they matter. For example, who among us hasn't lost out on a motel reservation or just a reservation for something before, it sucks when it happens to you. If I lived nearer to stl and knew all those people over there I'd be pushing them to come to the ru, send a mass dmail to stl people, Dyan. I don't remember how to do a mass dmail but I know it can be done, anybody? I looked up some members in Alton, Ill. - http://davesgarden.com/member_zip.php?zipcode=62002&submit=Search Or, you could just search saint louis, missouri members, ( http://www.unitedstateszipcodes.org/ , I bet there's a boatload. Illinois? Missouri? Kansas? Nebraska? Indiana? Kentucky? Iowa? Tennessee? Arkansas? Minnesota? Oklahoma? Wisconsin? Michigan?
Any state, anywhere, wanna come to our ru? It's not that far, free plants and great people!
Anybody on that Alton, Ill. list wanna come!?
Well, it is officially spring-time so come ahead nice, warm weather!
Will

Alton, IL

Thanks, Will. No one has ever accused me of being shy. :) And that's a good idea about the mass dmail. There are probably lots of members that never come to this board.

Hehe..I've been accused of being shy and I am for the most part, I would probably be an introvert. Oh, I'm sure there are lots that don't come here, because as non-paying members, they can't, I believe, visit regional forums and ru forums. They can, however, get dmails and certainly go to roundups, dmails go directly to the person's email I think. To put it in perspective, there are around 711,000 non-paying members and only 2,500 or so paying members on DG.
I remember Leaflady used to do mass dmails here sometimes, maybe pepper knows how.
The DG administrator Terry would also know. - http://davesgarden.com/members/Terry/
Will

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Here we go! Advertised where folks "like badcat last Spring" go to find RUs.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1389429/

Welcome to all who have stopped by. Feel free to ask questions.

Thanks Betty!!

A month to go!! I need to remind my friend and tell her work can't have her. lol

Ok, I will be loading up on plants to bring. My truck is gonna be loaded it looks like. Have viburnums, several golden globe arborvitae along with 1 little giant arborvitae, irises, some catmint, hosta, holly-blue prince and princess, Royal Sunset Asiatic lilies, and possibly some daylilies.

Alton, IL

I don't have any plants to share, BUT I can cook. :)

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I can bring plants & any other picnic related items needed. Plus pay on the shelter fee.

It will be just me on this trip unless I manage to finagle another friend. /first friend had family reunion pop up so have one other who might come if schedules work out and I can bribe her. lol

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Ok. I looked at last year's RU thread, and Debra was asking for blackberries too. I need somebody to take some for her. Would that be possible?

Debra and I will have to put our heads together and work on getting together. I think we were gonna do that last year and never did. We'll have to try harder with Bonnie up here now.

Alton, IL

Hello all!

Since it looks like we might have a small group coming, I noticed a couple of events that we might be interest in. These are at a nursary over in the south St Louis area, so it's a bit of a drive. But I don't mind being the 'driver', and my car can hold four people.

Both are free. Mind you, we don't have to do either one and just hang out at the park instead. Just ideas to consider..........

Garden Stroll with Ann Million
Saturday, May 30, 10 a.m.
Saturday, June 6, 10 a.m.
for reservations and directions call 314-965-3070
One of our most popular events! Here is a chance to see a fabulous mature garden, spilling over with luscious blooms. This class will take place at Ann’s extraordinary perennial and rose garden in Crestwood. You’ll see for yourself exquisite plant combinations and mature specimens. Fertilizing and maintenance techniques will also be discussed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Beautiful Herb Garden
Saturday, June 6, 10:00 a.m.
We all delighted to present this program by the St. Louis Herb Society. We all love the unique flavors that herbs lend to all kinds of food and drink. They also can add a new dimension to gardening with their bright blooms and beautiful foliage. Join members of the St. Louis Herb Society as the share the herbs that are tasty as well as pretty.

The St. Louis Herb Society is a not-for-profit organization founded as a study group in 1941 for the purpose of educating people in the knowledge and use of herbs. Each year they design, plant and maintain the St. Louis Herb Society Herb Garden behind the historical Tower Grove House (Henry Shaw’s home) in the Missouri Botanical Garden.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love nursery trips!! LOL!! I had actually hoped to be able to swing up to Springfield before coming home to check out Japanese Maples at Davidsan's Nursery but I don't think I'm gonna make it there. lol

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Will, are you going to make it? I know you've been busy moving and are facing surgery. Time to start getting a head count.

I really don't know, I want to go. I have alot of plants to part with actually. I always have official stuff going on, just today I went to the hospital to get all the financial documents together for the upcoming surgery, it's always something. And hopefully nothing flares up between now and then to cause me trouble with the whole hernia thing I now got. I feel pretty normal but things could go bad in a hurry if something bad happens before then. The hernia repair isn't scheduled until June 18th. Don't count me out yet tho! : )

Ok, I'm gonna post what I have so if you guys don't want something I can give it to Will and save it a trip. lol

Viburnum 'Autumn Jazz'- 3
Golden Globe Arborvitae- 5- Greenbrain
Blue Prince and Princess Hollies- 1 each
Little Giant Arborvitae- 1
Bumblebee Delight iris- several
Misc. iris
Catmint 'Walker's Low'
Asiatic lily- just a couple extras
dayliles- whatever I have that is big enough to get a division off of.
Hardy hibiscus Lord or Lady Baltimore most likely-1
Misc. hosta

This message was edited May 25, 2015 9:13 PM

This message was edited May 26, 2015 3:00 PM

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Pepper, if it's not asking too much, I would love the 5 golden globe arborvitaes. I have been contemplating ordering exactly 5 golden globe arborvitaes to line my driveway as a hedge to prevent the snow drifting across the driveway during the winter months.

They're yours! I don't mind bringing them at all. I just posted the list so you guys would know what I have and I don't have to worry about the rest if you guys aren't interested or don't have the space.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Yippee! I appreciate it Amanda. : )

Alton, IL

So it's just going to be me, Betty and Amanda?

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

My daughter Nicole and gr-d Chloe, and possibly other daughter Carla. It's ok for our 1st one here. We were small last year in Sedalia. You can bring family/friends too. The important thing is to have the RU & try to do better next year. I should have more time to recruit other members too. We'll have a better plan.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

My daughter Nicole and gr-d Chloe, and possibly other daughter Carla. It's ok for our 1st one here. We were small last year in Sedalia. You can bring family/friends too. The important thing is to have the RU & try to do better next year. I should have more time to recruit other members too. We'll have a better plan.

Alton, IL

I agree. My point is that with a small group, I still suggest that we should plan an activity.

I also have a great aunt swinging by for a visit. She lives in Jerseyville area so it'll be a treat for her. lol

I'm all for doing something. Nurseries or whatever. I don't know the area so I'll leave the planning to you guys.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

If you all want to plan another activity together, I encourage you to go for it. I'll probably stay behind at the park with my family. I'm looking forward to planting the 5 golden globe arborvitaes. : )

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Here is a place that I would be anxious to visit again. Piasa, IL isn't that far away. I'm on Cottage Garden Nursery's email list and get updates from their facebook page. I'm ready to go back. From my last email:
Cottage Garden Nursery
6967 Route 111, Piasa, IL 62079
Open 9 to 5pm everyday.
Chris Kelley -- telephone 618-729-4324
https://www.facebook.com/coolplants

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/1872/

What do you all think? I'm excited about the prospect of visiting this nursery again in the near future. It's less than 25 minutes and 19.3 miles from Gordon F. Moore Park. On 267/111 a few miles before Rt. 16. You take I-255 to 267N and continue north until you see their sign. House sits on the left with a long driveway on the left side of the house and follow it to the greenhouses in back. You can see the satellite view on Google map though the house sits south of the Google map marker.

I'm in! That's my kind of nursery. lol

Alton, IL

Why don't we plan to make a nursery trip?

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Ok.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Sorry a little confused, don't know if I can come but trying....
so where and when is the RU? lol

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Joyce, see Pepper's 1st post at top of this thread. It's Sat., June 6 at Gordon F. Moore Community Park in Alton, Il. I hope that you can make it.

If Pepper is leaving at 6 am, do you think we'll meet around noon or 1 pm?

I'll be there by 10am, 11am at the latest.

Do I need to bring anything food wise?

Alton, IL

We have the park area reserved for 5 hours (might be 6 hours; I forget). I set it up for 11 to 4 (or 5; I'll double check that). BUT the time can be adjusted; I would simply need to call the park service.

11 works for me. I can leave at 7am instead of 6 that way and get a bit more sleep. I have to work til 7pm the night before so that will also give me time to get the plants in the truck.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.