Pictures of my fairy garden Friday

West Monroe, LA(Zone 8a)

So here are a few of them. this is my favorite place to be and lots of fun for my granddaughter. I still need to plant upper pots with annuals and remove leaves from "lake" and top off with my blue gravel.

Thumbnail by GingerGaia Thumbnail by GingerGaia Thumbnail by GingerGaia Thumbnail by GingerGaia Thumbnail by GingerGaia
(Caitlin) Fresno, CA(Zone 9b)

Adorable, Ginger! I love it!!! What an awesome project with your granddaughter. You are making such special memories. Can you name the plants used?

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

OOops.. I posted on another thread of your's to please post pictures,THEN I find this! THANKS!

Aren't they so sweet, Pat?

I need to do one of these as well. I read somewhere that there are "gardeners" and there are "plant collectors." I've realized that I'm the latter - I want one of everything interesting in my garden, whether it all fits together or not! LOL

hehehe... I'm also a block collector, not a quilter. Nothing every gets finished!

West Monroe, LA(Zone 8a)

OH! Ladies, I was thinking about this very subject of " collecting" as I cleared brambles today .Believe me I've done a lot of collecting over 40 years of gardening. Wifey you can be both. I lusted after all those "unique" plants for years- Then when I inherited a little money I hit "plant Delights" catalog and ordered to my hearts desire. My dad would turn in his grave if he knew how I spent his money! LOL!. But then even before that I collected roses and daylilies. Luckily I had friends with Nurseries who often gifted me, then greedy me- I went to work for a nursery and was paid with plants instead of money. ( spring seasons only.)Type in Gingers Flower Garden in search and you'll find what I did with all those specimens as a garden. I'm the Louisiana cottage garden one. Look under " My Three Gardens" section. I'm in the midst of redoing the site- but you'll see what I mean. This is where every spare dime went, could care less about clothes, jewels. My hubby knows the way to my heart is a gravel path or a truckload of manure.

Small cement mixer was one of my favorite gifts... so I could make my stepping stones and garden benches with less effort!

West Monroe, LA(Zone 8a)

Pat- I love it! Need to start some hinting- ot a Bday and anniversary coming up- Cement mixers are for 43rd anniversaries aren't they? I sure I read that somewhere LOL!

I'm CERTAIN cement is for 43!

HAHAHA cement for 43! That is such a crackup!

I would never have thought of buying a cement mixer, but now I totally want one! LOL

Mine was about $90 on sale at Harbor Freight, electric and holds about a bag of cement. More than enough for the work I do. There are some very nice "rock molds" for a walk way that do well with this method. I think mine is smaller than any of these but adequate for my needs. http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=cement+mixer

West Monroe, LA(Zone 8a)

We don't have a harbor freight, but maybe lowes does. I have 2 molds that I keep mean to getting around to. One is a turtle ( wouldn't that be funny on the path they mostly stays under water) and a butterfly one. I have a really strong grandson- maybe I should ask him to be my Cement mixer-LOL! A good artist as well-he could paint them. Anyone know what to use to paint cement?

There are 2 basic kinds of paint. One is you paint on like any other paint, the other is dye and you mix it IN the cement. If your molds are stepping stone size you won't have trouble mixing enough cement at one time in a 5 gallon bucket or your wheel barrow. I likely recommend you treat your cement after curing with a sealant, they will stay nicer longer.

And YES, I think the turtle would be awesome in the wet path!

West Monroe, LA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Pat - Might be a fun project with grandkids this summer. Here is a pic taken this morning. Gwynth is helping me paint old pots to use for an herb garden on my back patio. The patio has grey cement floor- and 3 grey siding walls, have trouble keeping flowers going on this west facing patio-so thought I'd try herbs. I'm just getting interested in cooking with herbs for the first time. Most do like sun and heat.

Thumbnail by GingerGaia

What a good little helper you have! =)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.