Houstonians, tell me about the elusive lavender

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I know NOBODY who grows this plant successfully in our area, as a perennial, I mean. They are so irresistible this time of year at the nurseries, but I'm not biting unless you tell me you grow it and what kind.

Bellaire, TX

I've tried multiple varieties (including Spanish Lavender - Lavandula stoechas) in both pots and raised beds. No dice. However, I've got a new cultivatar, Lavandula stoechas 'Anouk' which I'm trialing. It's in a pot with a 50% sand/50% rose soil (Nature's Way) mix. The jury will be out for a couple of months.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Lousy pic, but its lavender, and has babies coming up. 2nd pic, lower left side of picture- til it runs into the prostate rosemary. Thought I would lose it last year til I brought the bucket of whiterock dirt and small rocks home to mix into the soil around it- which is also why that cinder brick is near, and our no freeze winter loved it, it has trebled in size the last 2months.

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Lavendar, bronze mustard blooms, and Eau d'cologne mint. Gotta locate the var of lavendar...

Thumbnail by kittriana

Absolutely lovely. Is that today's arrangement?

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes. My daughter likes to tease me with what I cant get home to see. Chuckl. I have babies coming up too...

Yes, gotta find which lavender it is

Oh so your D made the arrangement? A little hard to follow your sentences.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Vossner, i drive an 18 wheeler. She and I plant at her place, I show her how to keep them alive. I had told her to harvest some of the branches and dry them. She keeps them in her kitchen window when she prunes, these wont be dried arrangements...but the kitchen is going to smell wondrrful! My internet was hanging up really fiercely last night so I kept words shortened. My being gone a month at a times is why the names slip my memory.

Gotcha. Her kitchen is going to smell DIVINE

Belton, TX

I grow Lavender Salvia and since it is a hardy heat-loving salvia, it does very well in our Texas Heat...salvia lavandula...lavender scent without the tender care....

Wow, I'll hv to look that up

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.