Houstonians, do you grow Flowering Quince?

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

the bright blooms blow me away every year when the nurseries are packed to the gills with this pretty. Yet, I know NOBODY that actually grows this plant. I'm not talking about buying and planting this year, I'm talking about living in your garden long term.

Bellaire, TX

I grew this when I lived in Beaumont. It was pretty when it bloomed, but sort of a mess the rest of the year. I think our soil may be too alkaline and clayish for it to thrive. But, I agree, I see them in the nurseries (grown elsewhere) and wonder from time to time.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Leslie!!!!! you are the best. thanks for responding to all my Houston plant mysteries. I'll ck out the lavender you mentioned, but quite frankly I gave up on lavenders and make myself happy with a spritzer that I get at BB&B, when I simply have to have that frag. around me.

On a trip to Spain, the hotel had hundred of ft of lavender planted and they were in bloom when I was there. The sensory experience was out of this world and unless I can grow it like they do in Spain, I don't think I can be happy....a mere plant container of lavender just wont do.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.