Purchases from ebay's yodad50

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

From the heart, Gaddis 1985
Icy blue, Weed 1941
Margarita, Schreiner 1968
Forever Blue, Chapman 1997 , which I first saw in this forum

I did make it a point on my Dauntless to plant the rhizome barely inground and I'm wondering if thisvis reason I've been successful, as opposed to others that were planted deeper and vegetated but did not bloom

This message was edited Mar 23, 2015 8:00 AM

Concord, NC

Kool.. Here's what my 2014 Order From Alicia of Williamson's Flower Farm in Tennessee looked Like. We Bought Both Heirloom Iris and Daylily Fan Cultivars from her. Her Plants are Awesome. I would recommend any other southerner growers like myself to soak iris and daylily fans from other southern growers and even northern hardy growers too when your getting plants from multiple locations.. in 10 cups water with one cup bleach for 15 minutes then rinse off with garden hose and plant. Just a safety precaution and prevention method for our humid conditions down here. Since ive Been doing this Last 3 years ive cut my plant losses in Early Fall Humidity and Stress by 99% Save Rate :)

Thumbnail by themikesmom Thumbnail by themikesmom Thumbnail by themikesmom Thumbnail by themikesmom Thumbnail by themikesmom
Concord, NC

Heres One From Alicia in Tennessee that was Her Grandmothers back in the Late 1920's. Called BETTY'S PINK AND YELLOW NOID. It is Incredibly Nice And Tall, One of Our Longest Bloomers From Early through Mid Late Season and Incredibly Sweet Perfume Heavenly Fragrance :-) It is Not Shannopin by Pillow as it Starts in Early Season. I believe it to be either 'At Dawning' by Kirkland Of Tennessee or 'Rose Pearl' by Salbach of California.

Thumbnail by themikesmom Thumbnail by themikesmom Thumbnail by themikesmom Thumbnail by themikesmom

Noted on sanitation tip, tks. Those irides are beautiful

Concord, NC

:-) Thanks...My Son Takes care of all the Irises All Year long..weather hes about on his death bed or feeling better. it's His hard work and love of them he pores into them that makes them so beautiful..it is a reflection of Him. As Alicia's Grandmother Loved her Irises So Probably why this one Glows so much in the garden too.

Concord, NC

Heres Another One We Recieved that was Alicia's Grandmothers BETTY'S PURPLE NOID that we love alot... that im confident that in just about every respect that its identicle to 'Ambassadeur' except for that it has been for the last two years shorter for me than it..waiting to see if this year it gets as tall, and if so.. pretty sure it is 'Ambassadeur'. What ever cultivar it is however.. It's Awesome.

Thumbnail by themikesmom

Just beautiful

South Hamilton, MA

Irises planted too deep will not bloom. I would plant the others at the same depth of the successful plant.

Concord, NC

Correct..and in Total Agreement.. they like to be up close to the surface to breathe and soak in nitrogen and phosphorus and sun and air for successful vegetative growth and healthy buds and blooms. They are living things that like good treatment and extra treats and spoiling just like people, they respond to the love and effort and time and things.. You put into them and You will reap the reward. Some people plant rhizomes in pots where they can fertilize and watch them.. there is a book by Moore about it..ive not had any luck with Iris in pots as snow and ice melt always ends up down in mine and not enough drainage holes and so they rot as too much moisture, if You lived in a Duplex or Appartment this method is nice though as one can still enjoy Iris on your porch or back patio or even on a small lot or cottage and you need extra space..

South Hamilton, MA

After all 'rhizomes'
are food storing stems, not bulbs.

Concord, NC

yes you and i have had this discussion before as when i first joined i called them Bulbs which is not technically correct and two discussions of true bulbs as well. Bulbs, Corns, Tubers, Stolons..in Tennessee where Williamson Flower Farm is and Iris City Gardens they refer to them as corms whether correct or not. Enjoyment.. in my personal opinion takes precedent over technical correctness. but correctness is also important on a forum where newcomers which everyone is or was at one time including myself..are gleaming and learning information.

South Hamilton, MA

Newcomers can be confused--the thing about calling them 'bulbs' is that they get planted too deep.

Sugarland, TX(Zone 9a)

What do you feed irises with. I hear N causes problems. I have been using only bone meal. Thoughts?

South Hamilton, MA

We use 5-10-10 if obtainable; other wise 10-10-10. Alfalfa pellets are good also.

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

I have bought many irises from Williamsons they are marvelous! such a variety!

All planted!

Thumbnail by vossner

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.